Number of connections to cameras?

StphNieuw

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all,
I currently have a 12 Amcrest camera system (6 cameras @ 5mp and 8 cameras @ 4k) with a blue iris server running like a champ inside a closet. I have a small Windows 10 Intel mini pc that I use for displaying the cameras in the kitchen. I normally use a combination of the UI3, Blue Iris Viewer and native Amcrest Viewer applications. Since each of the cameras logs in using the same UID/pwd is there a limitation? I know I can create additional uid/pwd for each of the cameras but wasn't sure if its worth the effort? Is there also a load concern on the cameras of too many applications viewing them? I.e. Blue Iris using/recording main 4k stream vs Amcrest Pro App using substream and main stream if selected? I haven't experienced any issues or indications of any problems but I am just curious. I did some searching but wasn't able to find anything useful.

Thanks,
Stephan

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Each camera has a unique IP address and the login credentials can be duplicated ad nauseum to keep it easier to manage. No need, at all, for separate credentials for each camera.

In terms of connections to cameras, typically they're easily capable of handling around 20 or so.

Each instance of UI3 will add a few, two or three, percent to CPU utilization on the BI server. Unless you're running at close to max it shouldn't be a problem.