NVR-5216 with 2mp starlight - remote power cycle

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently bought a new NVR and starlight 2mp cam (the new ZE vari-focal) from Andy - fast shipping btw!!

I set up the ip cams and plugged into the NVR Poe ports ok, set the IP addresses to static and it was all working great. Then I remembered ppl mentioning here if I plug direct into router I would be able access the cam direct vs through the nvr. The cam I plugged into the router didn't connect (probably becos I had allocated a static IP for it, and it was also on a different subnet when plugged into the NVR 10.x. Vs 192.x.). So I plugged it back into the NVR and it worked again.

Today I got about half a days footage then all of a sudden it stopped recording. I tried to access it remotely but it times out. When I check remotely on smart pss the circle is now red instead of green.

Questions:

1- could it be that I confused the cam when I plugged it straight into router and then back into NVR? I didn't power cycle it after I did that becos it looked like it was working again.

2- is there a way to power cycle the cam remotely? I can reboot router and NVR, but the cam having the issue has its own poe injector and connects to the NVR via normal LAN cable only, given its in garage and I use a EoP adapter to run the connection back upstairs to the router

3- anything else I could try given it's still physically connected to my NVR?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated, cheers jimbo

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
If the camera is plugged into the built in PoE switch, it should reboot when you reboot the NVR, I think. Do a search in the camera menu and see if the recorder is picking up the camera or any cameras. The address may have changed at some point. If not, you will need to plug the camera into a Poe switch and find it using the finder tool.

Aengus4h

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
if you can''t connect over the network to it and its locally powered then you can't remote boot it, you'll have to go and turn the power off/on on the wall wart supplying the PoE injector. Also worth checking that its not the EoP side that's stopped working as some of these units can go to sleep if in eco mode, dropping connections in the process. I find it best to disable the eco modes on them as I use them for cctv and PC-server traffic in my present setup.

Reaction score
Thanks guys, i thought there might be a smart way to remote boot even the EoP adapter to save the hard reset but maybe not..

Or..if im going from cam->poe injector->eop->poe port on nvr, do i actually still need the poe injector for the cam? I.e. because im running from the nvr poe port, will it also send power down the eop line, or will it only send out data from the eop "ethernet" port...(i prob know the answer to this)

Aengus4h

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
no that wouldn't work, the nearest port the device is connected to needs to be PoE capable and none of the EoP devices I've seen have that ability, so you'd still need an injector at that end to run the networked device.

Reaction score
Cool..thanks..

In the end I switched on and off the Poe injector which had a red light and had to re-add the cam to the NVR..which then changed the IP address I thought had made static...anyway I probably scrambled the IP address somehow when I plugged it straight into the router after unplugging from the NVR ..

But thankfully it is now working..thanks again all

SkyLake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Normally you can remotely access the camera's thru the NVR.

Login to the NVR via the web interface, then go to *camera* - *registration* , from there you can click on the IE icon, from where you get to the login screen of the selected camera.
From there you can do a reboot of the camera, or just change settings of it.

But if the camera is not listed there, just do a search for new cameras in the interface. If that does not work, then you would have to check otherwise. IP settings or other network related stuff. If that still not solves the problem, you do the powercycle on the camera itself. Hard reboot :D