NVR and Camera Roles with IVS / Motion

KawaNinja

n3wb
Reaction score
Make sure on the playback timeline you are checking (enabling) yellow motion detection playback. If playback is at 24hrs sometimes you can miss small yellow motion events on the timeline. Try 2hr or 1hr zoom and when you locate something, go for 30 min for a better event zoom size.

Setting everything in the NVR is really tweaking the camera too. The nvr isn't 'isolated' from the camera. The nvr and camera are synced to push changes you make on either side. But as been pointed out, it's usually better to enable motion detection and IVS and regions/rules in the camera. Once you save it and look back in the nvr it should mirror the settings. Sometimes the sync to camera can get screwed up if you do it all in the nvr. I haven't really had that problem in a long while but it can happen- mostly with exposure and encoding settings. Usually all is well with motion settings though.
If I enable motion detection for the channel on the NVR I can see the yellow MD recording during playback using SmartPSS. As far as I understand in this setting it is the NVR doing the Motion Detection.
In order to let the camera to do the MD I disable motion detection on one the NVR for the channel. Now my question is in this scenario what is the setting that can cause the NVR start recording when the camera detects motion.?
My settings at the camera side are OK (I think) when I modify something using the web interface I can see the changes from the SmartPSS side as well, the communication between the NVR and the cameras looks OK.
Can you point me to the settings that I should be changing?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
In theory if you enable MD on the camera, and especially after a reboot, it will push that to the NVR and they will match automagically. So no you dont want to disable it in one place and enable in another. Its when you start actually changing the same individual settings on both devices that in my experience causes problems.

It should push the other direction as well, from the NVR TO the camera. Im just saying experience is that (unlike older analog CVI systems that work that way natively and do it well) that using the NVR to make settings can often result in a difference between it and the camera setting for some reason.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
If I enable motion detection for the channel on the NVR I can see the yellow MD recording during playback using SmartPSS. As far as I understand in this setting it is the NVR doing the Motion Detection.
In order to let the camera to do the MD I disable motion detection on one the NVR for the channel. Now my question is in this scenario what is the setting that can cause the NVR start recording when the camera detects motion.?
My settings at the camera side are OK (I think) when I modify something using the web interface I can see the changes from the SmartPSS side as well, the communication between the NVR and the cameras looks OK.
Can you point me to the settings that I should be changing?
Why do you need to changing settings if it's working!? What are you looking to do at this point?

KawaNinja

n3wb
Reaction score
Why do you need to changing settings if it's working!? What are you looking to do at this point?
I want the cameras to do the motion detection and not the NVR. I prefer to off-load this task from the NVR.
I do continuous recording and want to use the yellow MD recordings like book marks to find the trouble spots faster.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
The camera IS doing the detection (some high end AI NVRs can also but not the normal models). The NVR is recording and displaying and the settings 'synch" between the two but the camera in your case is doing the detection..

KawaNinja

n3wb
Reaction score
The camera IS doing the detection (some high end AI NVRs can also but not the normal models). The NVR is recording and displaying and the settings 'synch" between the two but the camera in your case is doing the detection..
I think I just misunderstood the EVENT thing

I prepare the Motion Detection from the Device Configuration for the CAMERA (Same as WEB interface)
1603920279337.png

And I thought that in the NVR Device configuration for the Channels (cameras) I should be disabling the Motion Detection in order to make sure that the processing is done only in the camera.
1603920420928.png

If I understand you correctly actually if I turn the MD in the NVR device configuration the MD detection is still done in the camera.
Is this correct ?
1603920279337.png1603920420928.png

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
The camera detects. Yes. Settings are synchronized between camera and NVR so the NVR knows what the camera is doing.
NO, they are not separate. They should match. The camera STILL does the detecting, but they must match.

What Im trying to get across is that by manipulating settings, the same setting, on the NVR, Camera, and now I see SmartPSS, you're asking for trouble in that the whole synchronization thing doesnt always work well. Whereas IF you make ALL settings and setting changes ON the camera ONLY, it will reliably push these to the NVR and synchronize correctly.

KawaNinja

n3wb
Reaction score
The camera detects. Yes. Settings are synchronized between camera and NVR so the NVR knows what the camera is doing.
NO, they are not separate. They should match. The camera STILL does the detecting, but they must match.

What Im trying to get across is that by manipulating settings, the same setting, on the NVR, Camera, and now I see SmartPSS, you're asking for trouble in that the whole synchronization thing doesnt always work well. Whereas IF you make ALL settings and setting changes ON the camera ONLY, it will reliably push these to the NVR and synchronize correctly.
Thank you for being patient with me :)
I now understand that these two fields are actually the same.
I thought that by UNSELECTING Motion Detection Event in the NVR configuration for the camera I was preventing the NVR doing the processing, but actually the settings (not to record) were being pushed back to the CAMERA itself!
Thank you for the clarification.
Everything is working now.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
I want the cameras to do the motion detection and not the NVR. I prefer to off-load this task from the NVR.
I do continuous recording and want to use the yellow MD recordings like book marks to find the trouble spots faster.
I hear you and glad you understand now. NVR's are capable little machines. Don't feel like this is stressing it regardless. Depending on the cameras you have, they may be IVS smart capable. Initially I set up regular motion detection just to get the events going but quickly took the time to learn how to apply IVS which is far superior. You're doing the right thing recording continuous as well, btw.