NVR decoding capability and live view

Reaction score
Hi, sorry to hijack this thread but my question is semi-related. I can start a new thread if that is preferred.

I helped a co-worker install a NR32P6-16, which I believe is a white-label DS-7616NI-K2/16P. Along with 2 x 6TB WD Purple Harddrives in a mirrored configuration.
We have installed 4 and plan to end up with 10 x 4MP cameras (DS-2CD2X42WD-I).
I noticed the NVR specs say "80M/160M incoming bandwidth" and "Decoding Capability: 4-ch @ 4MP (30fps) / 8-ch @ 1080p (30fps)".

• Why are there two different bandwidth specs? Using 10 out of the 16 PoE ports, will I be limited to the lower 80M speed?
  • Does the 'decoding capability' matter when recording? I was hoping to have all 10 cameras record their 4MP at 20fps main stream. At most viewing will be 16 x sub stream or 4 x 4MP main stream.

I am hoping I choose the right NVR, and shouldn't have tried to get him the I-series instead. Thank you

John Williamson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi, sorry to hijack this thread but my question is semi-related. I can start a new thread if that is preferred.

I helped a co-worker install a NR32P6-16, which I believe is a white-label DS-7616NI-K2/16P. Along with 2 x 6TB WD Purple Harddrives in a mirrored configuration.
We have installed 4 and plan to end up with 10 x 4MP cameras (DS-2CD2X42WD-I).
I noticed the NVR specs say "80M/160M incoming bandwidth" and "Decoding Capability: 4-ch @ 4MP (30fps) / 8-ch @ 1080p (30fps)".

• Why are there two different bandwidth specs? Using 10 out of the 16 PoE ports, will I be limited to the lower 80M speed?
  • Does the 'decoding capability' matter when recording? I was hoping to have all 10 cameras record their 4MP at 20fps main stream. At most viewing will be 16 x sub stream or 4 x 4MP main stream.

I am hoping I choose the right NVR, and shouldn't have tried to get him the I-series instead. Thank you
Theres a figure for incoming and outgoing bandwidth. It's 80 Mbps on the 8 channel and 160 Mbps on the 16 channel. The reason theres more than one figure is that the data sheet covers both the 8 and the 16 channel variants. The 8 channel will take 8 cameras OR 80 Mbps max so its possible to reach the bandwidth limit before the maximum number of channels are occupied.

The decoding just refers to what can be played back simultaneously so you've no issues there.

Reaction score
Theres a figure for incoming and outgoing bandwidth. It's 80 Mbps on the 8 channel and 160 Mbps on the 16 channel. The reason theres more than one figure is that the data sheet covers both the 8 and the 16 channel variants. The 8 channel will take 8 cameras OR 80 Mbps max so its possible to reach the bandwidth limit before the maximum number of channels are occupied.

The decoding just refers to what can be played back simultaneously so you've no issues there.
Ahh, so the 80/160 Mbps is actually total bandwidth of all internal channels? I assume this is limited by some internal switch then.
I guess I should be good since I got the 16-port version. I'll have 10Mbps available for each camera.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Jettison

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi guys, I know it's been a while since the last answer here... Could you dumb this thing down for me please.
I instilled a bunch of NVRs and each time I was lucky it was working fine.
But this "decoding capacity" just won't allow me to sleep peacefully..

For example in the topic OP was going to pick one of these but never mentioned which one worked out for him..
DS-7616NI-K2 (I assume this one wouldn't have worked since it has only 8ch decoding capacity?.. (even if bandwidth is right for 16?)
DS-7616NI-I2

I just can't get this Hikvision way of calculating the amount of cameras I would be able to see on the screen simultaneously..
For example if I have DS-7732NI-I4(B) model with bandwidth 256/256Mb, 2 HDMI ports and it says decoding capacity is 16 channels.
Does it mean I would be able to see only 8 cameras on each screen? It makes no sense to me...

JLPicard

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Jettison,
DS-7616NI-I2 worked out very good for me: at the moment i have connected 16 cameras without any issue.

Regarding your concern I think you can decode 16 channels on each screen, so... sleep peacefully!