NVR firmware version question

chippy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a XC-7616NI-E2 / 8P NVR. The firmware version says it's V3.4.1 build 160419 in the web gui. I went to Nelly's website and the highest firmware version for this device only goes to v3.3.6. I discovered the same thing on the Hikvision USA website.

So why would my NVR be flashed with a more recent version firmware than appears to be available? It makes me wonder if these are non-USA market NVRs? How can I be assured of the correct upgrades for the future. Same holds true for the H-series Cameras I purchased. Since I'm supposed to be responsible for damages that result from flashing the incorrect firmware (according to Nelly's site), who's the final authority on what firmware is correct?

RyanODan

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Hey Chippy,

We haven't updated our website with the 3.4.1 firmware yet. The reason you don't see it on their website is because they also haven't updated their site with 3.4.1 firmware yet. I understand how things like this can be confusing, especially with the different region equipment, chinese versions, hacked versions, etc that are out there.

Basically, "H series" NVRs will take any USA firmwares. We just haven't had a chance to update our site yet. Also, many people try to upgrade/downgrade with firmware's from different sites other than ours or the manufacturers and it often results in a bricked NVR. This doesn't happen as often now as it used to since they have incorporated some sort of 'check' before the units start upgrading ("Firmware mismatch" or "Upgrade Failed") but it does still happen occasionally somehow and that's ultimately why we ask that you don't try to upgrade from any other sources than their website or ours.

In the future, if you have any firmware questions or any questions at all for that matter please don't hesitate to contact me directly.

Last edited:

chippy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for that explanation. I feel better. I had been holding off on updating my cameras because of the uncertainty. I'll go ahead and upgrade. My cameras have 5.3.3 and you have 5.3.6 on your site (204).

While we are on the subject, there is absolutely no difference between the HikvisionUSA firmwares and H-series? Installing from either site is okay? If so, is the equivalent Hikvision model number DS-2CD2042WD-I?

chippy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
BTW, I just noticed that my nsc-204-bt camera housings don't match the picture on your site. My cameras look more like the nsc-202-bt.

RyanODan

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Note: There is different firmwares for OEM models NSC (cameras) and NSN (NVRs) vs their USA or "H Series" models. Do not install a firmware for an OEM model on a branded or H series model as it will most likely brick it.

there is absolutely no difference between the Hikvision USA firmwares and H-series?
To answer your question chippy the H series firmwares are the exact same as USA firmwares.

Last edited: