NVR for a small school setup

stapf79

n3wb
Reaction score
I've started my research, and found all the easy/cheap kits on Amazon. Now I'm turning to the real experts for tips and advice.

I'm looking for an 8-10 POE camera setup for my kids' small school. I think from what I've seen, I like the HIKVision cameras (they appear to be well recommended). I'll be choosing some bullets and some domes.

I'll likely power these through a separate POE switch (already have this equipment in place in the network).

What I'm looking for now it advice on a simple NVR. What I'd like:
  • doesn't need integrated POE feeding cameras (using switch mentioned above)
  • I'd like to install this away from the main network equipment - would actually like to put it in the principal's office hooked directly into a TV (HDMI)
  • needs to be able to display at least 4 of the cameras on the TV
  • onboard/integrated software - I'd rather not complicate things with separate PC-based software
  • integrated HDD storage would be great, rather than just USB ports for external HDD
  • reliable source for purchasing
Apprecaite any help/recommendations on an NVR that fits these requirements.

Thanks!

trapper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
hello i posed the same question and was directed to this NVR by dahua nvr5216-16p-4ks2 Product selector - Dahua Technology use the link to compare NVRS. I am new to this neck so i can only pass along what has been recommended to me from the experts here. I am awaiting the delivery of the NVR from Andy at Empirecandy on this site. Great price and easy to order

Silas

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hikvision do a few NVR's that match your needs, it would be a 16 model to accommodate your needs, your choice would then be single or dual internal SATA drive, and all of them have HDMI for viewing, and they do units without onboard POE that can sit anywhere on the network, the onboard OS is very easy to use and pretty robust. Watch a view youtube videos to see. The number of screens viewable is 1-16, cycle and static, your choice.
As for sources, that is dependent on your location

Hikvision DS-7616NI/E1 or E2

stapf79

n3wb
Reaction score
Hikvision do a few NVR's that match your needs, it would be a 16 model to accommodate your needs, your choice would then be single or dual internal SATA drive, and all of them have HDMI for viewing, and they do units without onboard POE that can sit anywhere on the network, the onboard OS is very easy to use and pretty robust. Watch a view youtube videos to see. The number of screens viewable is 1-16, cycle and static, your choice.
As for sources, that is dependent on your location

Hikvision DS-7616NI/E1 or E2
Thanks. I'm in US - Illinois. Just seems like when I google those HIKvision units, the sources are sketchy.

Silas

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm in US - Illinois. Just seems like when I google those HIKvision units, the sources are sketchy.
Global Market syndrome :)
The Majority of units come from China and as normal there are genuine local parts (Expensive) and imported (Amazon/Aliexpress/Ebay-cheaper) and you have to follow the lead of others, I myself am located in Australia and genuine pricing is very expensive, so I use aliexpress and get the very same parts for less than half the price. They are genuine branded Hikvision units and not OEM,
There is an issue with some units that do not allow you to upgrade the firmware, if you do, then they revert to chinese and you have issues resolving that, again I have chosen a supplier that clearly states that the units provided are upgradeable and in english.
If money if not a concern (doubted if it is a school) then google local sources for genuine, if not then I would post another request asking those more local to you for their buying recommendations. I would not suggest mine as Australian import taxes etc are different to yours.
Depending on the speel, Hikvision is stated as the #1 provider in the world.

nzipcamera

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've started my research, and found all the easy/cheap kits on Amazon. Now I'm turning to the real experts for tips and advice.

I'm looking for an 8-10 POE camera setup for my kids' small school. I think from what I've seen, I like the HIKVision cameras (they appear to be well recommended). I'll be choosing some bullets and some domes.

I'll likely power these through a separate POE switch (already have this equipment in place in the network).

• I'd like to install this away from the main network equipment - would actually like to put it in the principal's office hooked directly into a TV (HDMI)
  • onboard/integrated software - I'd rather not complicate things with separate PC-based software
  • integrated HDD storage would be great, rather than just USB ports for external HDD

Thanks!
I would look at replacing the bullet cameras with turret style cameras. Much better solution.

Some questions:
1) What make & model camera's do you currently have? are planning?
2) What level of expansion do you require (Total number of cameras)?
3) How long do you need to retain the recording/pictures?
4) What resolution cameras are you looking at?
5) Are you intending on installing this yourself or do you need an installer?

stapf79

n3wb
Reaction score
I would look at replacing the bullet cameras with turret style cameras. Much better solution.

Some questions:
1) What make & model camera's do you currently have? are planning?
2) What level of expansion do you require (Total number of cameras)?
3) How long do you need to retain the recording/pictures?
4) What resolution cameras are you looking at?
5) Are you intending on installing this yourself or do you need an installer?
A - Why are turrets better?
1 - None currently owned. Been looking at the N-series domes and bullets on Nelly's tonight.
2 - 6 cameras initially. Maybe add 4 more in the future. So looking at an NVR that will support 16 total.
3 - maybe a week tops
4 - not sure actually. I've been looking at 4mp cameras tonight mostly. But honestly not sure what the best value is here.
5 - yes. doing myself.

I've been looking alot at the N series stuff on Nelly's tonight. It's my understanding that's all HKIVision stuff rebranded, correct?
This NVR: http://www.nellyssecurity.com/nsn-616-16-channel-hi-def-nvr-recorder.html
This bullet: NSC-2X4-BT 4MP EXIR IP Bullet Security Camera 4mm - Nelly's Security
And maybe this dome (if turrets are truly better): NSC-2X4-DM 4MP WDR EXIR Turret IP Security Camera 2.8mm - Nelly's Security

I was also looking at securitycameraking.com tonight too. I thought this NVR was interesting (if I only went to 8 channels total). But I'm not sure what the quality of this line is compared to the HKIVisions:
8 Channel Elite 4K NVR - NVR-ELE8M-4KS

Thanks again for advice.

nzipcamera

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Dome cameras with a lens smaller than 4mm can be prone to IR light bleed. Turret, Box or Bullet style cameras are not. Turrets seem to be not as prone to bugs/spiders setting up home in or around the camera.

Rather than just looking at the ports on the NVR you also need to look at the bandwidth available for recordings. This and the processing power of the NVR chip tends to be the limting factor in how many cameras and at what resolution/bandwidth the cameras can be run at. Not total ports.

Hikvision Bandwidth Calculator V2.0.0.3 @ Hikvision Australia

The latest model Hikvision cameras are running at 4K (3840 × 2160 resolution) http://www.hikvision.com.au/products_5488900.html. I would make allowance for the extra bandwidth and proccing power this will require for the future or now. 4K resolution maybe very handy if you need to review video and see what a kid is doing in the corner of shot.

The newer cameras are all running the H.265, H.265+, H.264+ codecs all seem to be more processor hungry but use a lot less network bandwidth. I would ensure the NVR supports all of these video codecs and 4K resolution as a minimum.

Have a look at the DS-2CD2685FWD-IZS as alternative to the one you linked to. It has a Vari-focal lens giving a lot more location and installation flexibility.

These links should help you calculate the amount of disk storage space you will need.
Hikvision Disk Space Calculator v4.0.0.2 Hikvision Australia
or
NVR Storage Calculator for Network IP Cameras

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Will these cams be located indoors or outdoors?

Domes can have many issue's outdoors, especially as they age. Turrets outdoors, have much less issues' with spiders and webs.

The best cam going at this time is: Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

Others here: Dahua 2MP Starlight Lineup

Be wary of China Region equipment. If you can't find the exact model number on the Dahua International site, stay away.
Dahua Technology - Leading Video Surveillance Solution Provider with CCTV Products, IP Camera, PTZ, HDCVI products, NVR, Intelligent Building, Intelligent Transportation and Software - Dahua Technology

Don't fall into the megapixel trap. 2mp is plenty in a good cam. Better night vision than a 4mp.

A lot of us here purchase problem free from: Empire Technology Co., Ltd - Small Orders Online Store, Hot Selling and more on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group He's active here in the forum, and does his best to help. If he has it in stock, you will receive your order in a week or less.

If it were me, the NVR would be located securely in the networking closet, so there is a less likely chance of tampering.
The feed can be viewed on any computer via network access.

If you purchase Dahua NVRS, and outgrow a 16 channel, you can purchase another similar Dahua, and they can work in tandem. IE: work as one big unit.

I believe there are standards you have to meet on retention time of video in a school. A week is a very short time. Check your state laws.

Jamil

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Thanks!
If you are going to go for Hikvision make sure you use the latest kit. A lot of companies are still trying to sell the old cameras and NVR's.
We do offer Free delivery to the states so if you require any assistance on a quote I will be happy to help.

Regards