NVR not controlling camera properly

hiky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hampshire - South central Uk, right at the bottom
So i have had loads of issues since first installing a DS-2CD2342WD-i 4mp cam and a DS-7604NI-E1 4P/A NVR
When first installed the NVR was updated to the latest firmware 3.4.0 150929 and the 4mp cam had exposure flashing issues which Hikvision then released an update that resolved the flashing 5.3.3 150826

It definitely now appears that somewhere something is not right, using the camera web interface, changing settings for motion on the camera does not get reflected or saved onto the NVR settings

sensitivity is reflected from NVR to cam BUT
NVR sensitivity 1 = cam sensitivity 20
NVR sensitivity 2 = cam sensitivity 40
NVR sensitivity 3 = cam sensitivity 60
NVR sensitivity 4 = cam sensitivity 80
NVR sensitivity 5 = cam sensitivity 100
Why different numerations ?? use one or the other but not both also NVR sensitivity 3 i would assume to be half way between 1 and 5 so why is it 60 bearing in mind cam sensitivity can go to 0 when NVR cannot ?
If i change anything on the camera i am just realizing, the NVR does not reflect the settings

Intrusion detection from NVR setting to camera does not reflect on camera, trigger channel when set on NVR does not enable trigger channel on camera, this has to be done via the cam web interface

There are other inconsistencies and i am annoyed they are there but freaking glad i have finally found them, i was going mad trying to figure why i was getting so many false alarms when everything seemed to be set correctly via the NVR web interface...
the damned firmware's DO NOT WORK PROPERLY TOGETHER HIKVISION <----- Read and correct your mistakes by proper testing

WDR when turned on in the camera is unusable, even with setting low the image is washed out, WDR cannot be found in the NVR settings ??
A host of camera settings are not surfaced in the NVR web interface ?? again another Hikvision inconsistency

has anyone else found these issues ??

Last edited by a moderator:

FastCamMan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello Hiky,

First off please be advised that Hikvision NVRs "push" all event settings down to the Camera. So if you change something related to Motion or Intrusion Detection on a Camera expect that those settings will be over written by what is configured on the NVR (this happens every time the NVR establishes connection to a Camera). On a side note this behavior has been extremely frustrating for those who wish to use expert mode motion detection (which the Cameras support) but that the NVR does not have the ability to set those options. The good news is that Hikvision has indicated to us that v3.5.x of the NVR will finally add expert mode to the NVR configuration screens and in my opinion it cannot come soon enough. We are told v3.5.x will start rolling out by the end of Q1 2016.

So we have experienced similar issues with regards to the sensitivity level settings issue. Our test results have been slightly different:

NVR -> Camera
0 -> 0
1 -> 0
2 -> 20
3 -> 40
4 -> 60
5 -> 80
6 -> 100

The best answer that I have been able to get from Hikvision is that they have introduced more granular levels of sensitivity on some of their higher end lines of cameras (ie 4-line and 6-line) so they have already moved to a 0 - 100 range on their newest Camera firmware yet they still are in the process of doing the same on the NVRs but to make sure they maintain backward compatibility with older firmware Cameras they still are using 0 to 6 range on the NVRs. There really is very little loss in functionality in that you as you mentioned there now are really only six setting levels of sensitivity as opposed to seven levels prior. BTW: Knowing Hikvision I might be willing to wager that setting 0 and 1 always did the same thing in the past anyways but who knows for sure.

With regards to your Intrusion Detection issues. We have thoroughly tested intrusion detection on the "E2 Series" as well as the DS-76&77&86&85&96-ST -SP -XT -RT and found no issues. Unfortunately we do not have an "E1 Series" NVRs to test with. We have realized that something changed from v5.3.3 to v5.3.6 of the 2 line Smart Plus (DS-2x22,2x42 IP WDR) series of Cameras. We have learned that there have been changes on how the Camera actually talks with the NVRs in terms of HIKVISION communications protocol with regards to Dynamic Motion Analysis. Basically this is the highlighting of green squares to indicate where motion is occurring. We are working with Hikvision Headquarters (China) to figure out exactly what is going on but from first glance it appears that they added (and perhaps changed) some communications with regards to dynamic motion analysis and how it pertain to the actual NVR chipset interpreting the events. Different NVRs have different chipsets and we have seen various platforms respond differently. The DS-76xxNI-E1(E2)P NVRs have been unaffected whereas the DS-7716NI-SP does experience the dynamic motion analysis problem.

Anyone else noticed any dynamic motion analysis display problems on NVRs after Cameras were upgraded to v5.3.6?

hiky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hampshire - South central Uk, right at the bottom
Thank you fastcamMan
It will be excellent to have all the camera settings surfaced on the NVR, i have got the combination to settle now but i am only using standard square motion detection with record on event ( Day night scheduled switch is also used and working ), intrusion and line crossing seem inconsistent and overly sensitive

A big issue is email, it definitely fails to work with my combination of hardware, if you have contact with HV please please mention email issues, test fails on both NVR and CAM

It is frustrating to find inconsistencies between interfaces especially taking into consideration the hardware which is very good and well designed, the software side of things is surprisingly .... not as good, by a long shot

Thanks for the info though, it is much appreciated

One thing that does impress me however is H264+ for me it works very well and using the web interface seems to smooth motion a heck of a lot, finding correct iframe settings was becoming tedious, H264+ takes the hassle out and performs very well

Last edited by a moderator: