NVR Outage

Alphax

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I want to get your take on something -- I had an event today where during a drop-off of some packages (cams were sending alerts/motion shots/intrusion etc.) the NVR actually just went down... I knew about it right away at work since I got the "Video Loss" emails after it came back up. When I got home looked through the logs and I saw the "Abnormal Shutdown" but nothing I saw was of value to why it went down.

What I observed:

USPS arrives and is caught on motion alert and line crossing
Alerts(emails) are generated and then there is an Abnormal Shutdown
Less than a minute later the NVR is back up but then the cameras start alerting (emails) for video loss and we have about 4 mins of downtime (Blank space)
The NVR is still up and the cameras come back(again, this was about 4 mins)

Upon review, when I got home today, locally from the NVR the video was VERY choppy (skipping 2 to 3 secs on the time counter between frames) about 15mins prior to the abnormal reboot. When USPS arrived and the alerts and motions went off - the NVR tanked. Now I don't think a simple walkup should kill the NVR here... For example, on New Years, the settings(see below) were the same and I had nearly a thousand emails come through for every flash from fireworks setting off motion. We live outside of the city limits so literally every home goes crazy about fireworks so it was a FLASH fest. I was away from the house or I would have disabled motion for a couple hours to just save the NVR the trouble.. but anyways, it ran without a hitch and I got all of the alerts... no loss in video. Perfect.

Now, I realize the NVR was being taxed at that time due to motion being displayed and alerts going out. But this is the NVR's job and I only have 5 cams running on a 16channel NVR (LTS - TN8716-P16). I'm wondering if you've ever run into anything like this? I started thinking about what could have caused it and I don't have any immediate ideas besides maybe I have the bitrate too high. For the 3 identification cameras in the front they are set to:

Quality = Highest
FPS= 20
Variable Bitrate
Bitrate = 10,000

These are 4MP cams and the max the NVR "notes" under bitrate recommends a max of 12,000ish . Of course 10k is high but I want the best possible picture, of course. Any ideas? Am I way out of line to push that bitrate? and do you think that could be the cause? When I got home I turned it down to 8344 for continuous recording and left it at 10000 for "Events" and I'll observe for a day or two for failures. However, I want to be able to rely on the setup here.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!