NVR placement

D M

n3wb
Reaction score
I am just wondering where the best place to install the NVR as far as how well it needs to be hidden, how much ventilation, etc. My initial thought was to put it under the stairs in my basement where my alarm panel and router are, but since all the cameras will be mounted on the main floor, I was thinking it would be easier to keep it up there on the top shelf of either a bedroom closet or hall closet. Maybe the hall closet is better because if it makes any noise at all, it might be annoying in the bedroom. I actually have an ethernet jack nearby where I could easily run another one to the closet and even install an electrical outlet up there because there is one on the other side. This way I can just run all the ethernet cables through the outside wall, into the attic, and right into the closet rather than running them all the way to the basement.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am just wondering where the best place to install the NVR as far as how well it needs to be hidden, how much ventilation, etc. My initial thought was to put it under the stairs in my basement where my alarm panel and router are, but since all the cameras will be mounted on the main floor, I was thinking it would be easier to keep it up there on the top shelf of either a bedroom closet or hall closet. Maybe the hall closet is better because if it makes any noise at all, it might be annoying in the bedroom. I actually have an ethernet jack nearby where I could easily run another one to the closet and even install an electrical outlet up there because there is one on the other side. This way I can just run all the ethernet cables through the outside wall, into the attic, and right into the closet rather than running them all the way to the basement.
Top of a closet should be fine.
You can use a POE switch instead of POE in the NVR, and maybe install the switch in a garage or such, then just run one cable from the switch to the NVR.

D M

n3wb
Reaction score
So are you saying install the POE switch somewhere convenient where I could run all of the cables, and then install the NVR in the basement somewhere and just hook them both up to the network? How would that work? My NVR has 8 ports for cameras and the one to connect it to the network. By just connecting it to the network, would it see the cameras (assuming with proper configuration) that are connected to the switch?