Nvr placement

xSpiffx

n3wb
Reaction score
My router is located at the back of my living room, my TV near the front. The distance is about 7m apart. Both are open locations. I have a closet in the laundry, a different room about 10m away from the router (17m away from the TV). I've been told by various installers these are possible locations to place the nvr.

Just wondering where the best location is and where people normally house their nvr when they use one. Would it be in a hidden location (closet in laundry) or open (next to the TV so it can easily be connected by hdmi). If it's further away, do you just use a hdmi with repeater?

Thanks.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
My router is located at the back of my living room, my TV near the front. The distance is about 7m apart. Both are open locations. I have a closet in the laundry, a different room about 10m away from the router (17m away from the TV). I've been told by various installers these are possible locations to place the nvr.

Just wondering where the best location is and where people normally house their nvr when they use one. Would it be in a hidden location (closet in laundry) or open (next to the TV so it can easily be connected by hdmi). If it's further away, do you just use a hdmi with repeater?

Thanks.
Mine is in my bedroom as I don't have suitable closet. I use a HDMI extender with cat6 connecting the transmitter and receiver. Up to 196 feet between transmitter and receiver. Working flawlessly for 2 years.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Mine is in the crawlspace. I have a vga link to the closet just above it, and a wireless mouse has enough range. I need to use a hardwire monitor once every 2 years on average. On the other ~729 days the web interface does everything I need. I view recordings with smartPss.

xSpiffx

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the info and link. May I ask what the benefit of a hdmi/cat6 extender is over just a long hdmi cable that has a booster or repeater?

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for the info and link. May I ask what the benefit of a hdmi/cat6 extender is over just a long hdmi cable that has a booster or repeater?
Cheaper at least. Smaller diameter cable which can be fished, if necessary, and then terminated. A lot of us have RJ45 crimpers.

The head of an HDMI cable would require larger holes.

Really depends on where you're running it from and to.

xSpiffx

n3wb
Reaction score
I see. I'm have to go take a look at both options in person. Thanks for all the replies once again.

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
God, I love a small piece of electrical tape! I hate the red blink of the hard drive.:smash: