NVR setting "Sync Remote Device"

1.21 jiggawatts!

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
On the NVR, Settings > System > General > basic, "sync remote device" (include language, format and time zone)

What exactly does this do? Does it sync nvr settings to the cams or sync cam settings to the nvr?

I had a little incident last evening where I had setup ivs tripwire in a cam and the lines were showing on on the TV screen attached to the nvr. I went to the NVR > Display and unclicked SMD Preview and AI Rule. Clicked ok to apply. It got rid of the blue lines on the screen but then I noticed all the frame rates and many custom settings in all the cams changed.

Did having "sync remote device" clicked on the NVR cause this problem?

I have since unchecked it and fixed the cams but I don't want to click it again to find out. I can't seem to find any literature on that setting.

Carcus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
1724662355639.png
Mine is on by default in the NVR if that helps.

Suprised it changed the encoding method TBH.

1.21 jiggawatts!

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
View attachment 201916
Mine is on by default in the NVR if that helps.

Suprised it changed the encoding method TBH.

Thanks for finding it but they don't clearly explain what they mean by synchronizing. Nvr settings push to cams or cam settings push to nvr? I'm guessing video standard is the frame rate and other video settings. Mine was on by default and have since unchecked it.

Carcus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would say it syncs from the NVR to the devices.

I would also assume it means time, date and PAL or NTSC (old school I know) I don't think it would upload encoding settings as when you add cameras the NVR seems to download the settings from the cameras. That's my 2 cents anyway.

Reaction score
Synchronize time & time settings on cams every xx hours (there should be separate setting how often).

If most NVR's when the cams have wrong time or time settings You start to have very strange problems with searching / playback history events..

Time must be synchronized on cams to NVR's one..

1.21 jiggawatts!

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Synchronize time & time settings on cams every xx hours (there should be separate setting how often).

If most NVR's when the cams have wrong time or time settings You start to have very strange problems with searching / playback history events..

Time must be synchronized on cams to NVR's one..

To achieve this, I use the nvr's ip address as the time server address in each camera. All cams are synchronized to the second with the nvr this way.

1.21 jiggawatts!

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
yes... but NTP don't synchronize time settings (DST especially)..
synchronization done by NVR (those options) do zone & DST thing...
Each cam Has the DST setting and time zone input into them. Those don't change once set like how time drifts which is what ntp fixes. Haven't had any issues that way. If you don't set time zone and dst settings in each cam, yes, weird stuff happens.

Screenshot_20240826_055901_Chrome.jpg