NVR/switch questions - two structures

Sep 1, 2024
New York
Hi everyone,

I hope this is the correct forum to post this, didn't see an exact fit.

I don't have a current security system, and have been in touch with Andy about a single varifocal IP camera and an NVR, for handling up to 16 cameras. However, I need to secure both a home and a workshop, so that brings up a question.

There is a switch in the basement of the house that connects to wireless access points in the house, and a buried cable that connects to a switch in the workshop. The workshop has it's own wireless access points.

It's simple to connect cameras for the house to the proposed NVR that would also reside in the house, but I'm not clear on how to best handle the cameras that would secure the workshop. Do I need a second NVR in that structure? If not, then I'm not clear on how I'd be connecting workshop cameras to the NVR in the basement of the house.

Thx in advance

GrooveMerchant

You have a switch in your basement and a switch in your workshop?
And they're linked together by a network cable?

If the switch in your workshop is a POE switch, it will be able to power the camera and send the data back to the switch in the basement and from there onto the NVR.

If the switch in your workshop is not a POE switch, then replace it with one that is.

Reactions: TonyR
Thanks for your reply - correct, POE switches in each structure.

I'll have to revisit the spec for the network cable that connects the switches, but I'd imagine there will be a point at which the bandwidth is not sufficient, depending on the number and type of cameras, and whether recording is continuous or motion-activated.

You have a switch in your basement and a switch in your workshop?
And they're linked together by a network cable?

If the switch in your workshop is a POE switch, it will be able to power the camera and send the data back to the switch in the basement and from there onto the NVR.

If the switch in your workshop is not a POE switch, then replace it with one that is.