NVR with POE vs NVR with no POE - Which has better energy efficiency?

Cossie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello.

1. Have you ever measured the power consumption of a NVR? If I connect 2 IP cams to a NVR, which NVR will have better energy efficiency? NVR power supplies are like computer power supplies I guess and I know computer power supplies hasn't good power effiency. I know Hikvision says the NVRs consumes power lower than 15W for its own computing unit. I know the NVRs with built-in POE has 200W power supply for suppling power to IP cams but can it beat two 12v wall adapters in effiency?

2. Can I hear the fan of a NVR in a silence room? Is built in POE makes any difference in fan noise? I'm planning to have it in my bedroom.

3. I don't know how to ground it. Is non POE version is better choice for me?

Thank you.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
From my admittedly limited experience, the fan noise from an NVR is linked with whether or not it has an internal power supply. AFAIK all NVRs with built-in POE have internal power supplies, and are pretty darn loud. Some without POE use a fanless external brick supply (the dahua 5216 is one example), and have a reasonably quiet (not totally silent) case fan. The recommended computers for use with BI tend to also have reasonably quiet fans. Without built-in POE, you need a POE switch. The switches with fans are generally just as bad, noise-wise, as NVRs with built in power supplies. If you can locate the switch somewhere else, its noise might not be an issue.

Cossie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
From my admittedly limited experience, the fan noise from an NVR is linked with whether or not it has an internal power supply. AFAIK all NVRs with built-in POE have internal power supplies, and are pretty darn loud. Some without POE use a fanless external brick supply (the dahua 5216 is one example), and have a reasonably quiet (not totally silent) case fan. The recommended computers for use with BI tend to also have reasonably quiet fans. Without built-in POE, you need a POE switch. The switches with fans are generally just as bad, noise-wise, as NVRs with built in power supplies. If you can locate the switch somewhere else, its noise might not be an issue.
I bought a NVR without POE today. It's so much quieter without the case cover. And I think the fan is dysfunctional without the case cover. Any reason to stop for using it like that?