NVR5208-8P-4KS2E vs. NVR5216-16P-4KS2E

TDC

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I initially intended to buy the 8 channel (NVR5208-8P-4KS2E) NVR until Andy mentioned the 16 channel (NVR5216-16P-4KS2E) as an option for only an additional $40. I almost placed the order for the 16 channel before Andy mentioned it was only 8 channel PoE.

Although I don't see the need for more than 8 cameras for my house, I liked the idea of being able to upgrade in the future. I asked Andy for clarification on only having 8 PoE ports on the 16 channel but I believe he is now on a holiday. It appears the specifications on the 16 channel confirm there are only 8 PoE ports.

Is there any reason to get the 16 channel NVR if I definitely don't intend to install more than 8 PoE cameras? I'm assuming the remaining 8 non-PoE ports would require cameras that are powered separately.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
The 5216 comes in both an 8P and a 16P port configuration.
Your answer is here

If you bought one with only 8 poE ports, you would need to buy a separate switch to allow you to plug in the remaining 8 PoE cameras.

Both options have their advantages/disadvantages

Reactions: TDC

TDC

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for your response. Does that mean both NVRs are identical except the 16 channel provides the ability to add a separate switch later for additional 8 PoE cameras? I don't understand why a 16 channel NVR does not have the capability to support 16 PoE cameras out of the box.

I tried the link you provided but it doesn't work - I'm getting relayed to the general Dahua website rather than the specific site you provided. I filtered 8 and 16 channel NVRs on the Dahua website to compare the differences but still don't really understand what the advantages / disadvantages are besides a choice between an 8 channel or 16 channel. I don't understand most of the technical information on the brochure.

I only intend to install 8 PoE cameras for my house but like the "idea" of being able to expand later if needed, however, I doubt I will ever add more. I will never install non-PoE cameras, so I don’t need a NVR with ports that are not PoE.

Hopefully this makes sense...any additional information or recommendation is definitely appreciated.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for your response. Does that mean both NVRs are identical except the 16 channel provides the ability to add a separate switch later for additional 8 PoE cameras? I don't understand why a 16 channel NVR does not have the capability to support 16 PoE cameras out of the box.

Nope read it again. The 8P has 8 PoE ports. The 16P can be bought with either 8 or 16 built-in PoE ports. If you buy the one with 8 then it will still record 16 cameras, but you have to add an external switch for the other 8. (it can also be bought with NO poE ports in which case you'd need 16 port external switch). The number determines how many cameras it will record.

I tried the link you provided but it doesn't work - I'm getting relayed to the general Dahua website rather than the specific site you provided. I filtered 8 and 16 channel NVRs on the Dahua website to compare the differences but still don't really understand what the advantages / disadvantages are besides a choice between an 8 channel or 16 channel. I don't understand most of the technical information on the brochure.

Click the link twice, you will go to the International site that I referenced. Dahua does some crap with external links (DNS) to send you to the US site, which sucks as it doesnt have even 1/2 the equipment they sell. The US site is not a good resource.

I only intend to install 8 PoE cameras for my house but like the "idea" of being able to expand later if needed, however, I doubt I will ever add more. I will never install non-PoE cameras, so I don’t need a NVR with ports that are not PoE.

Then get the 16P - NVR5216-16P-4KS2E

Reactions: TDC