Occasional blank/black alert jpg - external trigger

scoob8000

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a couple rules that on alerts I get sent the triggered/current image. 95% of the time it works, but sometimes I just get a blank/black jpg attachment.

I'm pretty sure this only happens when a camera is triggered by external, and not the motion sensor. Every recent instance I can find, I can find it in alerts and it was an external trigger.

I think BI is taking the image that triggered the motion detector. Is there a setting to get around this or is it a bug?

FWIW, my cameras record continuous.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How is the alert image being sent - text, email, pushover, etc.?

scoob8000

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How is the alert image being sent - text, email, pushover, etc.?
Text/MMS. I can find the email in my Gmail outbox and it has the same black/blank image there too, so I don't think it's the MMS gateway doing anything with it.

Maybe I'll try to confirm this by adding another alert to email them to my other email address just to see.

I did some digging, the alert in the alert list shows the actual jpg, and I can find it in my alerts folder too.

[EDIT]
I just noticed when sending an email notification, you have the option to attach the motion leading image and or the trigger leading image.
On a MMS alert, the only option is to attach alert or current image.

Last edited:

scoob8000

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So we figured out the issue. I was emailing Tim from BI back and forth and had an ah-ha moment.

I was using a immediate action for my one notification, and sometimes the action actually happens before the alert image exists. The solution was to use an on alert action instead.