On the market for an intel CPU

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You set up the second NIC with a fixed IP address. You set up the cameras with fixed IP addresses on that same subnet scheme. Everything is accessed, remotely, using either the Blue Iris app or UI3, the web GUI built into Blue Iris. If outside your own LAN, use a VPN so it's like being on your own LAN. The only direct access to the cameras is from the machine with the second NIC.

iwanttosee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes, I'm talking about a proper processor for desktops. I'm just thinking, since the new BI version is using so much less cpu processes, a T version wouldn't work? Uses way less power.
I'm pretty sure, that a 6700(k) is using quite some power, running 24/7.
The CPUs will only use as much power as it needs, so the 6700 doesn't always run at 65W. My i5 3210M idles at 2.7W. Download Core Temp and take a look!

macster2075

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is probably a dumb question…If the cameras will have no access to the internet…what is the benefit of isolating the cameras?

edit
I remember now…is it to relieve the lan?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The isolation is for two, primary reasons.

1 - To prevent them from phoning home.

2 - To prevent them from being hacked and used as part of a botnet or acting as a gateway into your own LAN.

It is ironic, but surveillance cameras have terrible security themselves.

macster2075

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The isolation is for two, primary reasons.

1 - To prevent them from phoning home.

2 - To prevent them from being hacked and used as part of a botnet or acting as a gateway into your own LAN.

It is ironic, but surveillance cameras have terrible security themselves.
So they can be hacked even if they don’t have internet access?

macster2075

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Got it.. so for those of us who do not have a managed switch... a 2nd NIC would be the next best next thing and cheaper then?

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
The CPUs will only use as much power as it needs, so the 6700 doesn't always run at 65W. My i5 3210M idles at 2.7W. Download Core Temp and take a look!
Yes and ironically because of that a faster processor may even use less than a slower one due to lower usage - a chip running at 65% of capacity is probably going to use more power than a chip with the same TDP but running at 10% of capacity.

No need to go wild on the chip, just don't underpower. Also be aware where the wiki recommends i7's, presumably because most are buying used systems that are quite old, again, if you look at performance charts, you'll often find the latest i5's trounce the previous generations i7's for performance. Wouldn't go to i3's though.