One camera out of 5 looses connection intermittently

dee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
One of my 4mp ANPVIZ cameras lost and then regained connection 176 times in about 8 hours.
Below is the camera status page of Blue Iris.
Note last column on right.

I am returning this cam to Amazon and ordering another, because the images are crystal clear.
I am hoping this is just a defective camera and not a defective Cat6 cable.
Is there a (reasonably priced) tool to determine the cause for this intermittency?
I have already adjusted motion sensing to eliminate copious false triggering from palm trees moving in the wind.
Prior to my minimizing false triggering, the amount of intermittent loss of signal was about 50 times what it is now.
Anxiously looking forward to your take on this.

nameaddressMACMPixelsHAElapsedFPS/keyBitrateMotionTriggerAlertsClipsPostedWebcastNoSignal
My Camera 5 (Cam5) 40:AC:BF:9F:3B:46
8.3​
-0:05:08:4315.45/0.23701.2 kB/s
1216​
107​
107​
3​
0​
0​
176​
My Camera 1 (Cam1) A0:BD:1D:6E:82:B7
3.7​
-0:05:08:4325.12/0.50546.5 kB/s
3461​
41​
41​
1​
0​
0​
0​
My Camera 2 (Cam2) 14:A7:8B:C3:F2:73
3.7​
-0:05:08:4324.99/0.50509.1 kB/s
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
My Camera 3 (Cam3) A0:BD:1D:C4:61:1F
3.7​
-0:05:08:4325.23/0.50518.2 kB/s
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
My Camera 4 (Cam4) 08:A1:89:92:DE:1E
8.3​
-0:05:08:4315.03/0.30520.1 kB/s
137​
17​
17​
2​
0​
0​
0​

Last edited:

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
In short, no. If you don’t have a certifier/otdr, and can’t rent one I’d start with reterminating your rj45’s and trying different ports on switch/nvr. Then you can rule it down to bad cam or wire.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It could be anything and you really should troubleshoot before just assuming it is the camera.

You haven't provided enough detail.

It could be the POE switch is overloaded or close to capacity and can't provide enough power to all the cameras.

It could be your cameras are going thru the router and the last one added gets the shift.

It could be a faulty cable or termination or even the wrong cable.

It could be your BI computer.

Provide make and model of your POE switch, network topology, and make up of the computer and then we can troubleshoot.

EDIT - I see you provided some of the details in your previous thread.

But it still looks like you are going thru router. If you unplug all cameras but this problem camera does it resolve itself? If so then the POE or going thru router is issue.

Last edited:

dee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It could be anything and you really should troubleshoot before just assuming it is the camera.

You haven't provided enough detail.

It could be the POE switch is overloaded or close to capacity and can't provide enough power to all the cameras.

It could be your cameras are going thru the router and the last one added gets the shift.

It could be a faulty cable or termination or even the wrong cable.

It could be your BI computer.

Provide make and model of your POE switch, network topology, and make up of the computer and then we can troubleshoot.

And is this different than your previous thread?

Aumox 8 port Poe switch 120 Watt(more than enough for POE)

The rest of my computer setup is in my heading, footnote.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you running substreams?

What is CPU %

Post the screenshot of the BI camera page that shows all of above and the total MP/s it is pushing at the bottom of the table.

dee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

What is CPU %

Post the screenshot of the BI camera page that shows all of above and the total MP/s it is pushing at the bottom of the table.
No, but tried it both ways.
I just received the replacement I ordered from amazon. It also does not even show up in SADP, and it was obvious while unpacking, that this was not original factory packing.
Tried this with a short 3 foot patch cable, would not even connect.
Tried to do a factory reset but the reset button appears frozen.

dee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

What is CPU %

Posted it already in the first post above.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Posted it already in the first post above.
No you posted a copy and paste and didn't include what I asked for.

It should look like this (not mine just a random one I found) that shows if you are using substreams as well as the MP/s down at the bottom:

1667690261835.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No, but tried it both ways.
I just received the replacement I ordered from amazon. It also does not even show up in SADP, and it was obvious while unpacking, that this was not original factory packing.
Tried this with a short 3 foot patch cable, would not even connect.
Tried to do a factory reset but the reset button appears frozen.
Sounds like you got a return. Sounds like previous person got the reset stuck and you need to try to unstick it to then confirm if it is the camera or your system that is causing the issues.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Aumox 8 port Poe switch 120 Watt(more than enough for POE)

The rest of my computer setup is in my heading, footnote.
That isn't exactly known as a high quality switch, so it could be it. I would do as previously suggested and unplug all the cameras but that one and see if it is still losing signal. 176 drops in 8 hours and you should see fairly quickly if it is dropping signal or not.

Sorry about not seeing the footnote of your computer setup - those signature line footnotes do not show up on mobile devices...

Also make sure if it has a fake VLAN type switch on it to not use it as that could cause the problems like you are seeing.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

dee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
No you posted a copy and paste and didn't include what I asked for.

It should look like this (not mine just a random one I found) that shows if you are using substreams as well as the MP/s down at the bottom:

View attachment 144914
That isn't exactly known as a high quality switch, so it could be it. I would do as previously suggested and unplug all the cameras but that one and see if it is still losing signal. 176 drops in 8 hours and you should see fairly quickly if it is dropping signal or not.

Sorry about not seeing the footnote of your computer setup - those signature line footnotes do not show up on mobile devices...

Also make sure if it has a fake VLAN type switch on it to not use it as that could cause the problems like you are seeing.

It doesn't matter any more, I found a slight misconfiguration of the camera in SADP and fixed it. All is perfect now. It was my old age brain fade sloppiness that caused all of this. I thank you and everyone here for your help and comments.

dee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It doesn't matter any more, I found a slight misconfiguration of the camera in SADP and fixed it. All is perfect now. It was my old age brain fade sloppiness that caused all of this.
I thank you and everyone here for your help and comments.
:)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Glad you figured it out. It usually ends up being user error rather than the device LOL. And sometimes a senior moment LOL.

dee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Glad you figured it out. It usually ends up being user error rather than the device LOL. And sometimes a senior moment LOL.
Yes, SENIOR MOMENT!
I am experiencing slowly but incessantly increasing daily encounters with these.
I am loosing gray matter every day.
The only thing I still have and will not give up, is my dogged pursuit of perfectionism, drummed into me as I grew up in the old country.