Ooops! Not Expecting that framing - help please!

Reaction score
One of those "this will only take a few minutes" job has now turned into a time-consuming head scratcher. I planned a camera location
for above the middle of garage door opening, but the framing has got me confused. After drilling the hole from the outside for the
bracket I stuck an endoscope in there and it looked like standard wall framing. So thinking no problem, I'll cut out a patch of drywall
so that I can drill through the top plate from the bottom (can't drill from the top because there is no access). But when I removed the
drywall there appears to be a laminated beam sitting on top of what I thought was traditional wall framing. Moreover, the
drywall is attached to the traditional framing which appears to be about 1/2" wider than the laminated beam - which may
be a blessing because there is a half inch gap between the two that I could run the cable through... except
I ran fish sticks under the drywall, but they hit against the king studs on the edge of the garage door opening.

Untitled.png

DSCN2369.JPG

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. At this point I'm thinking of just running the cable on the inside garage wall. :rolleyes:

prsmith777

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I’m guessing you couldn’t come straight down from the ceiling for some reason. You won’t even notice that conduit after a couple of months. Good job

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Reaction score
I’m guessing you couldn’t come straight down from the ceiling for some reason. You won’t even notice that conduit after a couple of months. Good job
Thanks! Yep, that part looks a little horsey, but for whatever reason there is a 2x6 running the entire width of the garage and it is fastened to
that beam with many of those "Simpson" galvanized angle brackets. I tried drilling through the 2x6 from the bottom, but hit one of those damn
metal connectors, so I went up into the attic and finally got a better understanding of the situation. So, yeah, that distance from the wall where
the junction box goes through the ceiling gets the hole just past that 2x6.