OpenALPR New Release - 2.8.101

Robert G.

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just an FYI for those using the commercial version of OpenALPR, since they don't seem to send out any notice to customers (at least I did not get one).

I'm always excited about version releases for any software, but especially excited about this one.

There are quite a few new features, you can see all of them here: Release Notes — openalpr 2.8.101 documentation

The ones that excited me the most are:

• Core: 50-100% performance improvement on ARM64
  • Core: 30% performance improvement on higher-end Nvidia GPUs
  • Watchman: H264/H265/MJPEG Video decode on Nvidia GPU on Linux (reduces CPU usage)
  • Core: Small accuracy improvement on plate characters
  • Core: Significant accuracy improvement on state/province recognition
  • Watchman: Improved video decoding process reduces buffering artifacts under heavy load
Obviously the things that get me excited are improved performance.

This one: Watchman: Improved video decoding process reduces buffering artifacts under heavy load

I believe that is supposed to fix image problems like in this photo, but on my machine it has actually gotten much worse after the upgrade.

artifacts.jpg

Another problem for me with the new release, the system is often incorrectly classifying 0 (zero) as O (Orange). There is no O (Orange) ever used on license plates in my area. The previous release did not have this problem.

I contacted their support a few days ago to let them know of my issues, but no reply.

I'm currently running under Windows, will be converting over to a Linux machine shortly which they claim has higher performance for the same hardware.

Last edited:

rsoxhater

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm running into something similiar, after after doing an firmware upgrade on a Dahua camera I'm using for LPR. I can't confirm yet if its an OpenALPR issue or an issue with the firmware Andy gave me.

Its only happening on reads in the right lane, and not consistently. I'm NOT on the latest version yet. The plates and the car itself look fine.

Attachments