OpenALPR performance using NVIDIA

Robert G.

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am using OpenALPR, running a single camera on an Intel NUC machine. The performance is OK for the low traffic levels.

I know OpenALPR can support NVIDA CUDA to increase processing capacity. Has anyone ever bench-marked the performance difference?

I want to add a 2nd PTZ camera and the little NUC will just not cut it.

I have an extra NVIDIA card and old PC, just need a power supply ... wondering if it is worth it to use the GPU.

Reaction score
It is absolutely worth running OpenALPR on an NVIDIA GPU. For me, running OpenALPR resulted in approximately 80% to 90% utilization on an i7-4790 CPU with two Dahua -Z12 LPR cameras operating at 30 FPS. After adding an NVIDIA GTX750 card (which is by no means a particularly new or cutting edge piece of hardware), my system could process both cameras at 50 FPS with a CPU utilization of 25%.

Robert G.

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Wow, that is amazing.

I've got lots of NVIDIA GTX1060 cards, from crypto mining, that are not being used so I will certainly put a system together. Right now it seems power computer power supplies are hard to come by (I only want EVGA platinum units).

I will also be running a pair of Daua cameras with the new machine so much appreciate you performance feedback to know it will be worth it.