OpenLPR/Rekor Scout - Can't add the one camera I want to use

rdiggidy

n3wb
Reaction score
I am trying to setup Rekor Scout/OpenLPR for the first time (in hopes of getting the downloader in this forum up and running).

Whenever I try to connect the camera I want to use to capture license plates (IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E) I get the message in the attached screenshot (Error requesting profiles. Failed to receive data from device (-8)).

I have 8 other IP cameras and tried to connect all of them (just as a test, to see if I got the error on any of them), and they all setup fine, but for some reason the one camera I want to use isn’t connecting and I can't figure out why. The camera is "seen" when I use Rekor's "discover devices" option. But when I click on it, enter the username and password for the camera, I then get the error pictured in the attached screenshot.

The camera I want to use is functioning/feeding the video stream to Blue Iris, and I can also login directly to the camera using the same IP address, username and password I’m using entering in Reokor Scout.

Any thoughts or things I might try?

Screen Shot 2022-07-07 at 12.30.02 PM.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Make sure the user or password doesn't have the @ symbol in it.

rdiggidy

n3wb
Reaction score
Make sure the user or password doesn't have the @ symbol in it.
Thanks for the suggestion!

It does not have the "@" symbol. The password is all letters and numbers - no special characters at all, and is the same password as is on the cameras that work in Rekor.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Bummer that is usually the issue!

Many of us use that exact camera with OpenALPR, so I know it isn't an issue with the camera.

Did you try the generic rtsp? Try the different options available and try each one 2 or 3 times as I have noticed sometimes it won't see the video the first attempt.

rdiggidy

n3wb
Reaction score
I've tried to manually add the camera (instead of use the "discover" option). I put in the IP, then it requests as username and password, which it seems to accept. On the next screen, I've tried every profile that is available (including generic), and in all of them, it says "Unable to capture video from source."

In an attempt to troubleshoot, I tried changing the password on the camera to: "password1" to ensure the previous password wasn't an issue.

I can login to the camera with this new password, and once I updated it in Blue Iris, Blue Iris picks the camera stream back up again.

But OpenALPR now shows the login credentials are wrong (see screen shot). I restarted the camera, quit and restarted OpenALPR and repeatedly (about a dozen time) tried the same username and password as I'm using to directly access the camera as well as what I'm using in Blue Iris and I just keep getting the same "Invalid credentials" error now.

Screen Shot 2022-07-08 at 12.01.19 PM.png

rdiggidy

n3wb
Reaction score
I kept messing with it, using a camera that would work and eventually got it working. I'll describe for anyone who runs into this issue down the road.

When selecting a working camera from the discovery screen, you get kicked to a test page where it lists out the following for the working camera and shows the working video stream:

Code:
 rtsp:/admin:pASSWORDHERE@192.168.86.44:554/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0&unicast=true&proto=Onvif
I tried to just replaced the IP address and username and password for the camera I want to work like this:

Code:
 rtsp:/admin:password@192.168.86.108:554/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0&unicast=true&proto=Onvif
That didn't work. I kept messing with it, and eventually tried this, which WORKED:

Code:
 rtsp:/admin:password1@192.168.86.108/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0
I don't understand why it thinks the credentials are wrong using their GUI, but bypassing that and manually entering the info as noted above worked.

Thanks @wittaj for the help!

["rtsp:" is followed by TWO backslashes, not one, but the forum won't that ]

Last edited:

Fubduck

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
rtsp:/admin:pASSWORDHERE@192.168.86.44:554/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0&unicast=true&proto=Onvif
You can put it in [ CODE ][ /CODE ] tags to get rid of the emoji but the forum software is still going to eat one of the slashes.
Code:
rtsp:/admin:password@192.168.86.108:554/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0&unicast=true&proto=Onvif

rdiggidy

n3wb
Reaction score
You can put it in [ CODE ][ /CODE ] tags to get rid of the emoji but the forum software is still going to eat one of the slashes.
Code:
Thanks, fixed.