OpenVPN on Ubiquiti USG gateway

xmfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Greeting all,

anyone here using OpenVPN on ubiquiti USG gateway? If so, I'd be interested getting some details towards that configuration. Specifically, did you run into any challenges when configuring that?

I've researched and found some links on the net. I chose the USG gateway over edgerouter ER device because it was more GUI based......SURPRIZEEEEE....:p

I am neither fully certain or comfortable with the steps but plan to follow this link

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Routing-Switching/How-To-OpenVPN-Server-Configuration-on-the-USG/td-p/1683424

I'll take any help: hints, tips, sign languages , smoke signals :p basically, anything I can get towards that configuration. I need this configuration so when I get the iOS BI app I can remote into my network when not at home.

thanks !!

xmfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
alrighty...so, been doing some research on this. I found that my SYNOLOGY NAS has an OpenVPN server option that can be enabled. In looking at the steps, it is not quite as daunting.
Question for you network wizards...if I was to enable that on my NAS, then use my iphone's OpenVPN app...would I be able to access the BI PC through it to see the video footage?

thanks !!

saltfish

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes you can access your whole network, including the ip address of the BI server. This is the way I have configured my ubiquiti network. Basically the OpenVPN server is just running on the Synology box. You just have to forward 1 port from the external IP to the Synology box. The wizard within the Synology VPN setup walks you through it.

xmfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes you can access your whole network, including the ip address of the BI server. This is the way I have configured my ubiquiti network. Basically the OpenVPN server is just running on the Synology box. You just have to forward 1 port from the external IP to the Synology box. The wizard within the Synology VPN setup walks you through it.
AWESOME !!!
thank you for that confirmation @saltfish
I will start that configuration.

From my reading, found that, Ubiquiti “accepted” the suggestion of openVPN configuration, to be added natively to their USG GUI over two years ago but have not implemented it as of yet. Very happy to see I have another (easier) option I can leverage to access the BI machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk