Optimized with substreams and now odd behavior

bguzz

n3wb
Reaction score
I recently optimized my BI system by using substreams and direct to disc recording. My cpu is now down from 60 - 70% to 25%...very nice. One odd behavior that I have noticed is when I select one of my nine cameras on the console and go to full screen, I seem to see a few moments of an previous time. Example. I double click on a camera at 10PM when its dark and I see it in full screen mode for 1/2 seconds and then It changes to the middle of the day for just a couple seconds...then goes to current live view. Not a huge deal, but never had it until I switched to using the substreams. My understanding is the when I am looking at all 9 cameras at once, I am looking at the substreams...and when I click on one of the cameras on that screen, and go full screen I'm going to the main stream. Not sure why it would revert to many many hours earlier for a few moments?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes iframe could be the cause. Especially if it is a lot higher than the FPS.

Best to match FPS and iframe.

In my experience after you click thru this with every camera a few times it seems to resolve it moving forward

bguzz

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestion. I was at 20fps and 30 iFS and changed all the cams to 20/20. The experience now if better, in that the flip from current to 8 hours or so ago is much faster, so that is better. Still don't get why this is happening on the console. Is this because BI is switching from sub to main stream? Seems like I've not heard this issue with anyone else on these forums.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
BI help file for motion detection says for best performance the FPS and iframes should match, so since most of us were already at that, when substreams were added we didn't have an issue.

Substreams will switch to mainstream on an iframe, so if the iframe is higher than FPS, it will take longer for the next iframe.

bguzz

n3wb
Reaction score
would there be any issue with having iframe being less than FPS? maybe that would help?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It wouldn't hurt, but many cameras don't allow it. Give it a try and see what happens!

digger11

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have noticed that on my cameras that I've set up for dual-stream, in the BI console if I have set a playback speed above 2x, when I double-click on an alert the playback will very often start playback several minutes before or after the timestamp shown on the alert.

bguzz

n3wb
Reaction score
I have noticed that on my cameras that I've set up for dual-stream, in the BI console if I have set a playback speed above 2x, when I double-click on an alert the playback will very often start playback several minutes before or after the timestamp shown on the alert.
Thanks..I don't have an issue with playback of recording, just when I double click on the multiple cam view to go from sub to main into single camera mode. So its all about the live view that I'm having an issue with.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I see this issue as well. I guess it is likely a bug that should be reported, but honestly because it only seems to affect the live view, I simply haven't taken the time to report it.

I've been seeing this behavior for a while, but not "forever" so it's probably something that was introduced in an update.

This is how I've seen it work. Looking at the camera overview screen looks normal, but if I click on a single camera to view it, the initial view of that camera is from the past. (Like it will show a nighttime scene even when it is the middle of the day). That quickly changes to the actual live feed of the camera, but it is definitely showing some sort of old footage initially.

bguzz

n3wb
Reaction score
whew...at least i'm not crazy!

Wierd thing is...I have 3 wifi camera's temporarily connected. Same settings, but this issue only happens with the 6 ethernet POE camera's (All going through the same switch as the wifi AP).