Osiring NVR "forgetting" camera password

kingnero

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello to all,

I've installed an Osiris NVR with 2 Dahua camera's few years ago at my parent's house. Works flawless so far.
Now, recent I've added 2 Dahua 4k cams (wired straight into the NVR), to cover the garden as well (first two camera's cover the front, as they don't always hear the bell).
I initialized the camera's, and thought it would be a good idea to change from the admin/admin password. Now, these two camera's log off every few days. Easy, right-click on the NVR, put in the password, and they're working again.
But this isn't a workable way.
I've since restarted the NVR, reset the camera's, but the problem keeps occuring.
I thought, why not keep with admin/admin for the IPC's, as they're outside and there's nothing really interesting in case someone would hack them.
Now, the Dahua configtool does not allow a password of 5 characters (8 min.).

Is there any way to:
  • making sure the NVR does not forget the IPC's password, or if not,
  • resetting the IPC's so that admin/admin is the default login/password?

By the way, I've searched the forums but I could not find a problem similar to this, please link me to an old thread or give me some correct keywords so that I can search myself for this.

Thanks,

Gimmons

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
One of the things you'll discover is that Chinese IP products have firmware quirks. I've also had problems setting passwords on the Dahua IPConfig tool. Fortunately, you can log into the cameras directly using a web browser. There are some issues there too. Dahua built the cameras to interface with Internet Explorer, and seems not to realize IE isn't around anymore. There are workarounds. Mine is to use a browser called Pale Moon. Once you get into the camera, you can change the password.

I can't tell you anything useful about the Osiris nvr.

kingnero

n3wb
Reaction score
The main LAN is 192.168, as you said ;-)
The NVR is situated at 192.168.x.xxx
The NVR also has its own net, 10.1.1.xx. The cameras each have a 10.1.1.xx IP address.
If I ping from a local computer (192.168.x.x) to the camera's (10.1.1.x), I have a 100% loss.
How do I even "reach" the camera's on the 10.1.1.x net?

Edit: I do have a Cat5E cable going from one of the PoE ports on the rear of the NVR to the switch that feeds basically everything in the house.
Do I have to manually set the PC in the NVR subnet (10.1.1.x) ?

Last edited:

Gimmons

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'd plug the camera directly into the switch and bypass the NVR to do the programming. Try 192.168.1.108, which is the default IP address for Dahua cameras. If that doesn't work, use a program like Securityscanner – All in one scanner to find the camera on your network. Older Dahua cameras had a default login of admin/admin, and later ones went to admin/digi12345

Gimmons

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Actually, your router (probably 192.168.1.1) may tell you where the camera is. But it won't if the camera defaults to a different subnet, in which case you'll need something like the Security Scanner.

kingnero

n3wb
Reaction score
Thx for the help so far.
I did put the cam on the main switch, I ran angry IP scanner (been using that for years), got some unknown IP adresses, visited those using the 32 bit version of Pale Moon, alas nothing.
"Pale Moon can't establish a connection to the server at 192.168.0.226."

Should I retry with the scanner you suggested?

I'll try further in a few days, when I visit my folks again. Time's up now. Thanks again,

kingnero

n3wb
Reaction score
One more question for those familiar with the Dahua Configtool, why don't any of my camera's show up there (no matter what IP range I set)?

The only things I see are the physical NVR and the PC-NVR (of which I'm not sure what it is, or how to work with it).
But no camera's? Even if they are initialized, shouldn't they show up?

Attachments

Gimmons

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
They should. I sometimes have the problem that some of them show up but won't be edited, but they do appear.
Other workarounds besides Pale Moon include an Internet Explorer mode in Edge, and a plugin in Chrome. I am able to get into my cameras from Chrome, but I can't see the actual views and some of the controls are not available. I think the password reset controls are there, however.
Did you try searching the 10.x.x.x range? Since that's where your NVR had your cameras, it may have set their IP addresses in that range.
The Security Scanner app does have an ability to click on an item and have it open directly. I can't say it's better or worse than the Angry Scanner program.

Gimmons

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Again, not to be a shill, but the Security Scanner app also reports the manufacturer info for the devices it finds, if available. So it tells you if the device you're looking at is a Dahua camera, because Dahua includes that info in the ping response.

kingnero

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the additional info.
I'll give it a try this weekend.
I did find that tjhe two cams that vcause problems, had the wrong gateway in their settings (192.168.... instead of 10.1.1....).
Corrected this, and we'll see if I can keep the video feed until this weekend. Normally, they log off randomly but always in the 2-5 day range. Never longer, sometimes shorter.

Gimmons

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeah, they default to 192.168.1.108, so if something caused them to reboot, that's where to look.

Gimmons

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Something's making them reboot? Maybe power them on 12v adapters of at least 2 amps. That might tell you the POE is faulty. Also try hooking to router instead of nvr, and see if they reboot.

poE

kingnero

n3wb
Reaction score
I can't believe I didn't think of this before. I pulled up the footage, and both have a stream until 02:00 in the night, this is exactly the time the NVR reboots daily.
So, they probably loose power for a few seconds, and they restart. Thanks for your comment, good thinking there.

Now, question remains, why do I have to manually enter the IP-cam's password in the NVR ea&ch time, unless it's admin / admin?

Edit: I'll hang one of the two problematic cams on a power supply tonight, and see tomorrow if this helps.

Last edited:

kingnero

n3wb
Reaction score
The one with the external power supply still works...
Will try this weekend to change the password again. I'll keep you updated...

kingnero

n3wb
Reaction score
The camera's work and continue to work with an external power supply.
I would like them to work on PoE though.
I did a hardware reset on one cam, ran the Security Scanner, found the IP address (192.168.0.120) but I cannot access that address with Pale Moon nor with Edge in IE mode (nor Firefox nor Chrome...)
I can initialize it with the Dahua Configtool, but that doesn't allow me to enter admin/admin (PW should be at least 8 characters)
I have an Osiris NVR (an old Dahua system, I believe 2016 or 2017).

Question remains, why doesn't the Osiris NVR "remember" the PW,
Keeping in mind that the two old cam's keep working (for three/four years) on PoE with admin/admin (They are on a 2nd network 10.1.1.X - so I'm not that concerned with other people accessing the stream, especially that they're only recording the street and garden).
Or - how do I set the user/PW to admin/admin on these cams? The NVR defaults to this, and I believe this might actually solve the problem.

Happy to pay for whoever who has the solution - This is doing my head in and I've wasted so far way to much time on this already.

@Gimmons: you told me before to connect the cam's to the switch instead of the NVR. I haven't tried that, as the switch is not PoE, and will still require the power supplies. When using the PS, they continue to work, so I don't think that's going to tell me much. Please tell if I still need to try that though. Thanks for all the help so far!

Gimmons

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi kingnero, I wanted you to connect to the switch to eliminate a possible source of error in tracing the problem, not as a permanent arrangement.

I think your problem is in the poe system. It sounds like you don't have enough power coming to the cameras on a continuous basis. This might be in your cables, i. e. Your connectors are dirty or corroded or somehow deteriorated. It might be the connections in the cameras, or it might be the NVR's poe output. I'd guess the latter, because multiple cameras are affected, and single failure is more common than simultaneous failure.

So here's an idea to test. Get a poe injector and use it on one of the problem cameras. If that solves the problem, you know your poe power coming out of the nvr has weakened. At that point you can either fix the nvr, or get more poe injectors.

kingnero

n3wb
Reaction score
OK. I'll get one of those. I prefer powering them inside the house as using extension cords outside of the house for obvious reasons.
How about I try to disconnect the two older cams (that never cause problems) from port 1 & 2, and plug the two new (problematic) ones in port 1 & 2.
Wouldn't hurt to live a few days without the two main cameras, and this might give new information as well.

Edit: I see PoE injectors on amazon, all are 48V (and around 15W), some 24V. None are 12V. Cam is 12V.
Can I trust "Automatically determines and provides exact power to meet the needs of the device." ?

Last edited:

Gimmons

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The POE out of the nvr/poe switch is around 48v. The cameras have circuitry to downconvert to their internal voltage, probably 3.3v, which they also do with the 12v from an adapter. They use a higher voltage in anticipation of voltage drop over long cable runs. Higher voltage also means less amps running through the cables.

Bottom line, the 48v poe injectors are fine. That's what your camera's looking for.

Gimmons

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sure, switch the cameras around. My guess is the older cams need less power than the new ones, so they'll perform ok on the ports the new ones had trouble on. But it could also be you have a weak poe bus feeding the ports your new cameras were using, while the old cameras were on a stronger bus. Your idea of switching them around will test that theory.