out with the old in with the new

jon2

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
As the title says i replaced a existing fixed focal camera for a ptz in my aviary. its a DH-SD42212T-HN 12 times zoom. a lot more than i needed but i got a very good deal so it was a no brainer. i have a few things i could do with some help.. feed back on..
1 the auto focus is not very good. any ideas to make it work better its set to auto..
2 does the colour need need adjusting ..
3 i need a good quailty audio microphone. i did fit one but it started smoking i think it may only have been 6volt not 12volt..the camera i took down does have a built in audio could i maybe take it out and fit it in the ptz?
4 i keep getting timed out and i have to log in again can this be changed.
the old the new

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
You may always have some issues with autofocus because of the hardware cloth (chicken wire) in the background. Those nice, distinct vertical and horizontal lines will always be attractive to the autofocus system, and it will try to make them be sharp, while ignoring the foreground.

If there's a way to narrow down the "area of investigation" of the autofocus system so that it concentrates on the center of the image and ignores the outer areas, that might help. In normal digital cameras, you can often select the AF "points" or areas, but I haven't seen that feature in any of the security cameras, unfortunately.

I wonder if you could paint the screen black or make it match the color of the background behind it so that its pattern is not so distinct. You'd need some form of non-toxic paint or powder coating or the like, I guess. Something that won't flake off might be hard to find. If the screen is galvanized, it's difficult to make paint stick.

jon2

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

jon2

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You may always have some issues with autofocus because of the hardware cloth (chicken wire) in the background. Those nice, distinct vertical and horizontal lines will always be attractive to the autofocus system, and it will try to make them be sharp, while ignoring the foreground.

If there's a way to narrow down the "area of investigation" of the autofocus system so that it concentrates on the center of the image and ignores the outer areas, that might help. In normal digital cameras, you can often select the AF "points" or areas, but I haven't seen that feature in any of the security cameras, unfortunately.

I wonder if you could paint the screen black or make it match the color of the background behind it so that its pattern is not so distinct. You'd need some form of non-toxic paint or powder coating or the like, I guess. Something that won't flake off might be hard to find. If the screen is galvanized, it's difficult to make paint stick.
thank-you
its a shame about the auto focus its the only thing that lets the camera down. in my situation i suppose it would be the same with all ptz's.
painting the wire is not something i would do with the birds in they. they chew and rub they beaks on the wire so its something i would be careful about,

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
thank-you
its a shame about the auto focus its the only thing that lets the camera down. in my situation i suppose it would be the same with all ptz's.
painting the wire is not something i would do with the birds in they. they chew and rub they beaks on the wire so its something i would be careful about,
That's actually not bad considering all the different items in the FOV at varying distances from the cam.
Your old cam was a fixed lens cam, so it wouldn't have the focus issues, unless it wasn't focused properly at the factory.
I don't recall for sure, but look in the settings in the cam, and look for these settings.
Try the Lens Init first, then if that doesn't help, try the different settings in Mode, Focus Limit, and Sensitivity, one at a time.
Again, I don't recall exactly what settings that camera has.
This pic is from a different model PTZ.

upload_2019-9-5_12-41-31.png

jon2

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That's actually not bad considering all the different items in the FOV at varying distances from the cam.
Your old cam was a fixed lens cam, so it wouldn't have the focus issues, unless it wasn't focused properly at the factory.
I don't recall for sure, but look in the settings in the cam, and look for these settings.
Try the Lens Init first, then if that doesn't help, try the different settings in Mode, Focus Limit, and Sensitivity, one at a time.
Again, I don't recall exactly what settings that camera has.
This pic is from a different model PTZ.
Yes its not that bad. it just seems to take forever to focus. unless i manually help. i will be playing around with the settings in the next few days or more. my goal is to have it on a few preset tours when i work out how to use this feature. and hopefully it will focus ok itself. but overall i am very pleased with the camera. and another bonus feature although i dont need it the camera stays in colour during the night. not that theys much to see,