Outdoor Cam PoE for new house (ubiquiti components)

swoti

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi..
we are moving to a new house which is located at the peripherie of the village and I´m planing to add some cams to the walls and the carport. I have a PoE connection at the mounting site and the network it self we mostly consist of unifi stuff. I´m not sure if it would be the best choice to go for Ubiquiti cams or if I should choose another brand. I do not own a NVR yet, so I´m still flexibel. What would you recommend in a middle price segment, that is also available in europe and that is not tooo big to don´t run into issues with the "wife acceptance factor". Thanks!

swoti

n3wb
Reaction score
So could you tell me which brand is your recommended.....dahua....ubiquiti....something else?

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So could you tell me which brand is your recommended.....dahua....ubiquiti....something else?
Unifi Protect have very nice and easy to use mobile app and integrated web portal.
No one on the market offers something like this...
If this is important for You, choose Unifi...

But this is closed system, which works only with Ubiquity products (cams & NVRs).
And hardware for Unifi cams are not so good.

The highest models (G5 Pro) have much worse night performance comparing to Dahua 5442.
In color mode at night, with good street lights all moving objects (people, cars) were very blurry..
And there is no settings in Unifi Protect (like shutters speeds) to corrects this..
G5 Pro is a 379 USD / 420 Euro camera..
Lower cheaper models have even worse performance...
Forget about color mode at night, only IR and black-white is usable.

If You want good day & night performance, with nice sharp faces and car plates - look at Dahua 5xxx-S3 cams & 5xxx-EI NVRs series..
Most popular are 5442 cam variants - with 4Mpx, big 1/1.8" very good image sensor and lots of options about chassis (bullet, turret, dome), color (white & black), zoom options (3 fixed lens models, 2 zoom options for wide/tele).

There is toons topics about those models to read on this forum.

swoti

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you...I will take a look on these cams. Can the Dahua cams be used with the Ubiquiti protect or the UDM SE NVR? Or would I need to use a totally separate system?

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thank you...I will take a look on these cams. Can the Dahua cams be used with the Ubiquiti protect or the UDM SE NVR? Or would I need to use a totally separate system?
No, as I told You Unify Protect is closed system. It will work only with Unifi NVR and cams..
Unifi Protect don't support ONVIF (which is universal protocol where cams and NVR from different companies can work in one system).