Outdoor Camera Selection Advice

timblaktu

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm having trouble finding the right cameras for my application and wondering if you could make some recommendations given my requirements. I'm looking for two cameras for my home, and these will be integrated with a Synology surveillance station.

Location 1: Mounted, uncovered, outside on a fence, either horizontally or vertically. AC power available but NOT ethernet/PoE, so this requires WiFi. Need 100 degree or better horizontal field of view. Need 2MP/1080 Res or (preferably) better, and onboard h.265. Need the best night / low light performance possible. Turret style preferred but other styles acceptable. (Worried about moisture and condensation problems with dome style)

Location 2: Mounted, covered, outside on a front porch either on a ceiling or wall, PoE available/preferred. Need either ultra-wide 160+ degree horizontal field of view or 2 lenses that can be oriented to achieve similar coverage. Need 2MP/1080 Res or (preferably) better, and onboard h.265. Turret style preferred but other styles acceptable. Low light performance is not critical, as the front porch has a light on 24/7.

I'm looking for both product recommendations, and where to buy.

Thanks for your time and expertise!
Tim Black

timblaktu

n3wb
Reaction score
Decided to abandon the wifi/fence idea and just mount more PoE cameras to corners and eaves of house.

Now looking at using 3-4 Hikvision ColorVu 4MP, 2.8mm turrets but trying to get info on the new models just announced..

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Skip the 2.8mm lens size unless you only want no detail overview. That lens will need someone within six or eight feet, maybe ten feet if you're lucky, to be able to identify them. Mounted on the eves, soffet mount I would guess, you won't have anything of real value. 3.6mm or 6mm would be better, with a varifocal that goes up to 12mm being ideal.