OV2311 possible use as LPR system

vbbartlett

n3wb
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone with more camera knowledge would be able to weigh in on this camera.

OV2311

I would like to try building a camera/system for LPR and thought this might be able to be used.

Thanks for the input in advance.

Reaction score
Very few (if any) folks here build their own cams. So I doubt that they can comment on this chip. You do realize this is not a camera, right? There is certainly not enough info listed in the link to give any specs on how good it would be for LPR.

vbbartlett

n3wb
Reaction score
Here is a better link to provide more specs on the module I am considering
OV2311 Module

I suspect between the shutter speed, global shutter, no ir filter and decent MP that it might provide a solution, but again hopefully someone might have some experience to be able to even provide some suggestions.

Reaction score
OK, so it's 2MP on a 1/2.9" sensor that is on a RPI for $100 but is out of stock and discontinued. It has no lens, firmware and housing.

Tell me again why you are doing this? Dahua and Hik have great cams already put together that many many folks here have used successfully for LPR that have a bigger sensor, lens system, high end firmware with advanced processing, and a housing all for about $100 more.

vbbartlett

n3wb
Reaction score
So I am a programmer and build projects with arduino and pi boards. I have played with cameras on pi, but don't have the experience to know what type of sensor might work for LPR.

I found another place that has the camera in a slightly different configuration (noir). Same price.
I have lenses and can get them for relatively cheap for a telephoto lens which I assume would be desirable. $5 for a 20 degree lens.
Along with these electronics I model and build 3D projects. So it is also interesting to model and print a housing once the system is built.
Next the firmware already exists for these type of cameras with a extremely wide range of controls over the camera's behavior.
And the final reason is the wife said I could spend the money on this type of project because it keeps me busy and when I am bored I apparently annoy her.

While investigating this project I selected the highest preforming camera module I could find, with the features I GUESSED would lead to a usable video. But I also found other cameras that looked promising for significantly less. The question then became what is the least expensive camera module that would provide useful video for LPR? Now my lack of knowledge will show. From reading about the subject LPR need quality images of moving objects. I just don't know how that translates to hardware.
So questions like what is an appropriate frame rate, as you mentioned what role does the sensor size play into it? Does global shutter improve compared to a rolling shutter? What other specs are important to the quality of image?

IF you decided to duplicate the hardware for one of these cameras or even improve on it what would you look for in the sensor? As camera prices continue to drop and performance continues to increase I believe at some point for those with the electronic skills and programming background you should be able to build your own system... sometime just because you can!

vbbartlett

n3wb
Reaction score
@looney2ns Thanks! That is extremely helpful to be able to compare sensors and optics. I don't have experience as I stated but at least on paper I can have some sort of comparison.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the biggest issue for an LPR is the actual software of the camera itself - can you actually control parameters like shutter and gain without the system "playing with it" to make the picture appear better than it is because they manipulate it to give a great still image picture.

I have tried a few cheap sub $100 cameras that claim I am adjusting shutter, gain, iris, etc. yet the picture is ghost blur at night.

I know nothing about this camera, and maybe your software skills can overwrite these issues with this cam, but that would be my first concern with trying to use an unproven camera for LPR.

vbbartlett

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the input! :D This is how we move an unproven to the proven category. So definitely things for me to research/test if I end up purchasing the camera! I will get to see what the software can do with a normal pi camera.