Overview Camera Height

erick85

n3wb
Reaction score
I initially posted at the end of June about input on different camera locations. Here is that link:

Well, unfortunately, life got in the way and I wasn’t able to install anything. Have I mentioned how hot an attic gets in July/August in Missouri?? . I’m now at the point that I’m ready to start running cable and installing cameras. I’ve run tests at most of my locations except for 1. We have an atrium ranch. The back of the house is basically 2 stories because of the walkout. Because of this height, I haven’t tested a camera at soffit height for that location. What are others doing in similar situation? Are you running an overview that high? I can install lower, basically between the floors. That portion of the basement isn’t finished yet so access is pretty easy. Any particular preference or if anyone found one option better than the other? Will a 2 story overview still be effective?

Thanks!

Erick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As long as your recognize that the IDENTIFY distance with an overview camera is all lost in the vertical distance, an overview camera on the 2nd floor is fine. You can see more and observe more. I have a few up there and they are great for overview. But I supplement them with cameras at the proper height and focal length to capture the IDENTIFY pics.

As long as you check the expectations, a 2nd story overview is fine.

Reaction score
Will a 2 story overview still be effective?
What @wittaj said.

I have three overview cams mounted in second story windows, staying in color 24/7 as they are shooting through glass. They have been very effective doing the job that which they were tasked to do- overviews, not expected to ID a person.

They have given me info on number of perps, where they cam from, where they went, color of clothing, car color and type, and on occasion, car make and model (mostly in the daytime). One even showed that fireworks trash was NOT lit by a person but reignited after they went to bed and did not water the trash down.

This thread shows how important the overview cams were to get info on where the perps cam from, where they went and the fact that they did deposit a flyer on the driveway across the street.