Package thief

rmi63

n3wb
Reaction score
Happened a couple of days ago. Can't really see his face though. Police took the video but it seems like I need a camera to monitor the street as they asked if I had a car description which I didn't. I do have a option to place a camera in the a window which is to the left.

zmx

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Good first effort, you need a camera over-viewing the whole out-front [2.8mm lens] move the current camera down about a meter to catch the faces.
Note a cam behind a window wont work real well the IR will reflect back. You could put a pin-hole there but they are only 1mp [lets crank it up HIK !]
Oh seeing your now buying more cams Install one pointed down the road with a bit of zoom to catch plates. [say 12mm lens]

I have 8 cams out the front 3 wide angle [2.8mm HIK 4Mp domes] And a couple of hundred watts of IR -non covert, normal people dont notice but crims run.
two custom number plate capture and two for color at night. The other two are on the fence looking wide angle up the street left & right.
Im about to put a HIKvision pin-hole at the door as well to get an in the face shot -height 120cm -watch out where the sun is tho
Its a little excessive but I have caught every single thief with amazing shots of their faces and cars. -Im in a high crime rate industrial area.

If the cops dont mind [no current wide investigation] with this scum paste it on facebook as well
He looks like he bald as well dressing up like his 20
One last thing have a walk around a few blocks and see if anyone has a camera you can access, I bet scum-man has been there

spyfly81

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do you have email alerts setup on your NVR? With a camera like that I would like email alerts would work great as you would only get them if someone if very close to your front door.

I am looking to mount a camera by my front door and I feel I really what to mount it eye level to get a good face picture.

fyi... sucks about your packages

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A prime example of how a simple hat can defeat a security camera :(
If face recognition is a requirement then this is a prime example of a camera placement which fails to achieve the objective. Of the 23 cameras I run I believe that only one (my lobby camera) is capable of providing clear and identifiable face images...and that was an accident. The rest of my cameras are in positions which allow us to identify general activity, which is the requirement I built the system for when I started 2 years ago. However, I've come to realize that if I want to identify a person's face then I would have to place additional cameras, with specific lens installed, located at strategic choke-points. I like my system and it serves us well, but frankly all it's capable of is providing "Oh shit! Did you see that?" overview images. In my opinion, if you want evidentiary video then you're going to need some serious experience and know-how to build a system which provides the results which meet that requirement. Newbie Q™ was Qlueless 2 years ago. I'm less so now...but I still gotta loooong way to go.

stevejay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I went to all kinds of trouble when I got my first set of IP cams to mount them way up high, assuming that the comprehensive "aerial" view from overhead looking down onto my porch—and another across my patio— was the best way to see as much as possible. Eventually I realized that I couldn't even identify the mailman's face in the recordings if he was wearing a simple baseball cap. When I got new cams I put them down at eye level so now I'm looking right into people's face. There's sort of a security issue with having them low enough to grab. I have the one monitoring the front porch mounted back behind a hedge of cactus and other sticky, stabbing plants next to the house. But, if someone really wanted to get their hands on it, I guess they could. Hopefully I would have good video recorded by the time they could run away with it.