Painless migration to HP Elite Mini 800 G2 core i7-6700...

Left Coast Geek

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
so today, my ebay $300 mini PC arrived, a refurb HP Elite Mini 800 G2, with a i7-6700, 16gb ram and a 256GB M.2. Came with fresh install of Win10 Pro.. 2TB SATA drive on order, so for now my /new/ is on the SSD but I'll move that to the HD when it gets here...

migrating BI was painless, I exported the config to a .reg file, saved it over the LAN to the desktop of the new box, also saved my text file with the BI serial. deactivated BI on old box, on new box, activated it and imported hte config, and boom, its working.

old box (older win10 desktop with core i5-3570k and Z77 chipset) was running 50% or busier most of the time, new box is down at 20% all the time, running the same 5 camera config. color me :love:.

oh, accessing new box with Windows RDP using MSTSC, and thats working perfectly, I told BI to allow full speed on RDP since they are on the same gigE.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Glad to hear it was painless, but 20% for 5 cameras on that machine is high!

Do EVERY optimization in the wiki and your CPU will drop even more. I have way more than 5 cameras and an older machine than yours running at sub 10% CPU. The substream option and direct to disc is a must!

Left Coast Geek

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
using direct to disk. not using substream, as I want to monitor full res on the screen (in fact I will be wall mounting a 24" FHD so I don't have to tie up one of my desktop monitors.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OK, just know that is a great way to bring down the CPU. Most of us after 4 or more cams showing simultaneously on the screen do not see an appreciable difference in quality, and you can always go to main stream by selecting one camera.

Left Coast Geek

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
ah, then I probably SHOULD try and figure that out, heh. I gather BI based motion detect can run with the substream, too ?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
ah, then I probably SHOULD try and figure that out, heh. I gather BI based motion detect can run with the substream, too ?
Absolutely! It is an incredible CPU saver, but what most people don't realize is it helps tremendously with mulit-camera playback as well, so if you wanted to watch all 5 at the same time in playback, most machines will struggle with trying to playback 5 mainstream videos. With substreams, it will playback substream, but you can always then pick one camera to go to mainstream.

And the newest feature of recording continuously + alerts or continuously + triggers allows you to record 24/7 and get a lot longer storage as it will record substream until triggered or alerted and then records mainstream.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm running 20 cameras on an i7 6700K and it's at 20%, varies from 10% at night to 25% during the day with motion.. Sub streams are the only way to go. ~200MP/ps throughput.