Paranoid LEO Need Installation in Small House

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ah so stick to 2mp turret outside? Maybe a bullet cam for license plate reading? Will that be better in 2mp form as well?
LPR if you do it would probably be the Z12 bullet, which runs around $220 iirc and more pixels can help with LPR. 2mp starlight turret, yes. preferably the more expensive varifocal model (at least on the driveway), it has a bigger aperture.
Hi @tangent thank you for your continued input.

My dog is a Labrador about 100lbs and he sleeps in the garage with the garage door closed but he has a doggy door to the outside.

I would say I am above average tech savvy just not with security cameras. I did help install a 16 camera dvr unit years ago on my family ranch but that was so long ago and totally different technology as it was analog.

Also I have no kids so the backyard is just the dogs.

Sorry I was bot very active in the thread recently. I was enjoying Cancun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
hope you had a good vacation.

Your budget is obviously a key consideration, that said the system will likely evolve over time as you learn more and add more things. I'd probably start with the 3 or so cameras I mentioned earlier.

How paranoid you are is a complicated variable here. If you put a ton of cameras out that could attract attention. ALPR camera(s) could be interesting, it would probably go beyond your skill set but it's possible to keep a database of all the cars you see and flag cars that aren't your neighbors (when i say possible, a few computer science classes would go a long way). Do you live in a state that requires front and rear license plates? If you want more coverage with fewer cameras a PTZ camera is an option but is much more expensive and it can only look at one thing at a time.

I would definitely invest in a regular alarm system too.

As far as outdoor motion detectors, there are tons of different products and ways you can do this. I would just hardwire one on the driveway and one at the porch. You could connect them to your alarm system, a zwave module tied to a home automation system, an input device that works with blue iris like sealevel, or the alarm in on one of your cameras if it has alarm in.

Last edited:

Silas

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Wouldn't hurt to also stick a few dummy units in plain site whilst you work out the logistics, and the ever useful "This property is under VS' is a start deterrent.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
idk, is telling people hey i have guns you can steal really the most effective security measure?
That was my attempt at humor. Personally, I don't have any signs. I figure if they like to steal, they may also like to gamble.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
The current crowd favorite camera belongs to the Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z) the newer ZE model is basically the same just the aesthetics have changed a bit. There's a less expensive fixed focus model, but being able to adjust the zoom is very helpful. You're fairly well positioned to try to capture license plates of passing cars, especially to the west. ALPR requires a dedicated camera generally with more zoom.

is https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073XLFHD4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
much different from the turret version? I notice there's a big difference in price. What is the catch?
As stated that is a dome camera for one thing(keeping clean) and because of the 1/3" sensor it will not be all that great at night for ID'ing someone. The starlight cameras mentioned above are good and the Hikvision low light cameras are good. I would not get any camera with less than a 1/2.8" sensor. The night time pictures will not be all that good with something less. I am on my 3rd round of up grading my cameras to achieve better quality night time pictures.

I started out with cameras in 1/3" sensor class which were ok but do not really get the job done at night. Now my cameras are at least low light or starlight with a 1/2.8" sensors. In some areas I am replacing some of those with a 1/1.8" sensor with even better low light capabilities.

Edit: I also have an alarm system that is monitored.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The current crowd favorite camera belongs to the Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z) the newer ZE model is basically the same just the aesthetics have changed a bit. There's a less expensive fixed focus model, but being able to adjust the zoom is very helpful. You're fairly well positioned to try to capture license plates of passing cars, especially to the west. ALPR requires a dedicated camera generally with more zoom.

is https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073XLFHD4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
much different from the turret version? I notice there's a big difference in price. What is the catch?
The one you linked on amazon, is a china region hacked to english firmware, and wouldn't be upgrade-able.

Alex76

n3wb
Reaction score
The one you linked on amazon, is a china region hacked to english firmware, and wouldn't be upgrade-able.
I'm an avid Amazon shipper and a lot of the time that is fine. In this case I have noticed that a lot of cameras there say international version. I am aware of the one person from this site selling the dahua varifocal on Ali express. Is there any other viable places to purchase from?

Even the Hikvision I'm In Amazon say are sometimes Chinese version depending on the seller.

Alex76

n3wb
Reaction score
I just purchased Cat5e cable to lay the foundation for 8 cameras. (Only 3 will be going on now). I want to eventually grow my system to 8 as my budget permits.

Any recomendations on POE switches. I think I'd rather buy one that can accommodate for the expansion of my system.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm an avid Amazon shipper and a lot of the time that is fine. In this case I have noticed that a lot of cameras there say international version. I am aware of the one person from this site selling the dahua varifocal on Ali express. Is there any other viable places to purchase from?

Even the Hikvision I'm In Amazon say are sometimes Chinese version depending on the seller.

Depends on your location.
China Region version firmware can be full of security flaws.
B&H photo is one option.
Empire Technology Co., Ltd - Small Orders Online Store, Hot Selling and more on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
BEC Technology Co.,Ltd - Small Orders Online Store, Hot Selling and more on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
Home - Wrightwood Surveillance
Nelly's Security - The webs top source for New Security Cameras, Analog Surveillance Systems, and High Definition IP Systems. - Nelly's Security

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just purchased Cat5e cable to lay the foundation for 8 cameras. (Only 3 will be going on now). I want to eventually grow my system to 8 as my budget permits.

Any recomendations on POE switches. I think I'd rather buy one that can accommodate for the expansion of my system.

Look at the Zyxel brand. https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_9?url=search-alias=computers&field-keywords=zyxel+poe+switch&sprefix=zyxel+poe,computers,189&crid=NB4J9XX47CCM&rh=n:541966,k:zyxel+poe+switch

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score

There is someone on here that sells Dahua and HikVision cameras that have US firmware on them right? Or just non branded? We only use the us versions now because we have wasted a ton of time updating firmwares .

TahoeJeff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just purchased Cat5e cable to lay the foundation for 8 cameras.
I'm a bit new to this game too, but I do recall reading that you do not want to use copper clad cable. You want solid copper. If yours is labeled CCA, you may have issues.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm a bit new to this game too, but I do recall reading that you do not want to use copper clad cable. You want solid copper. If yours is labeled CCA, you may have issues.
You are VERY correct...say 'NO' to CCA'.

Also, use CMX jacket for outdoor and CMR (riser) or CMP (plenum) jacket for inside walls, attics, crawl space. If there's no jacket rating printed on the jacket, you don't want it as it's likely counterfeit. A non-rated jacket means the plastic jacket on the counterfeit cable would not have been tested for vertical flame resistance and could possibly assist a fire beginning in one area of your house to travel to another area by igniting the combustible (non-rated) jacket.

Avoid such grief by buying from Monoprice; CAT-5e bulk is ==>> here . They also have CAT-6, RJ-45 male connectors and female jacks, patch cables, tools, etc. A portion of their store inventory can also be purchased from amazon.com .