Passive 30W 802.3af/at PoE Injector compatibility with cam and router

march11

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello!

I recently bought this 30W passive PoE Injector and was wondering if it was safe to use for my setup? I would've bought the active had I known the difference beforehand!

My setup will be modem -> router -> injector -> camera;

Camera and power specs: IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E Screen Shot 2022-03-27 at 4.04.27 PM.png

router and power specs: google nest wifi router, 14v 1.1A (no pic/link included)

My question is, will this setup work or do I run the possibility of my router/camera getting fried? The whole passive, non handshake, always running power scares me. (as far as I know the camera and injector are both 802.3af compliant.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think it is mislabeled - if it was passive, then you wouldn't plug it in to an outlet.

It says under category is a POE Injector.

And if it were truly passive, then it would be even more harmless because it wouldn't be sending any power.

Passive is an adaptor that you do not plug into an outlet and it takes a POE ethernet and split it into two.

So the question is do you have to plug this in to an electrical outlet? If so, you have an injector and it is fine.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I had responded to your earlier post before you deleted it…

The link for the injector says it’s 802.3af. That is the PoE standard. It will power your camera fine if it’s really 802.3af.

march11

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes it plugs into an electrical outlet, cool! Thank you both so much for your help, these mislabels got me sweating! lol

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I think it is mislabeled - if it was passive, then you wouldn't plug it in to an outlet.

It says under category is a POE Injector.

And if it were truly passive, then it would be even more harmless because it wouldn't be sending any power.

Passive is an adaptor that you do not plug into an outlet and it takes a POE ethernet and split it into two.

So the question is do you have to plug this in to an electrical outlet? If so, you have an injector and it is fine.
Passive is a “non official” PoE term. Ubiquity labels some their proprietary products as “passive”. For them that means 24v and not the standard 48v for 802.3af. It’s takes a special switch/injector built by them that can power their own “passive” products. I hate that proprietary shit.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Looked at your Amazon link, looks like its fine to use. from what I saw. I have that cam. Powered it on the bench with Wall wart at 12vdc 1.5 Amp and it was fine.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I recently bought this 30W passive PoE Injector and was wondering if it was safe to use for my setup?
It's safe.
My question is, will this setup work......?
Yes.

FWIW: from Wikipedia ==>> "Passive" injectors:

"In a passive PoE system, the injector does not communicate with the powered device to negotiate its voltage or wattage requirements, but merely supplies power at all times. The common 100 Mbit/s passive applications use the pinout of 802.3af mode B (see § Pinouts) – with DC positive on pins 4 and 5 and DC negative on 7 and 8 and data on 1-2 and 3-6. Gigabit passive injectors use a transformer on the data pins to allow power and data to share the cable and are typically compatible with 802.3af Mode A. Passive midspan injectors with up to 12 ports are available.
Devices needing 5 volts cannot typically use PoE at 5 V on Ethernet cable beyond short distances (about 15 feet (4.6 m)) as the voltage drop of the cable becomes too significant, so a 24 V or 48 V to 5 V DC-DC converter is required at the remote end.[53][unreliable source?]
Passive PoE power sources are commonly used with a variety of indoor and outdoor wireless radio equipment, most commonly from Motorola (now Cambium), Ubiquiti Networks, MikroTik and others. Earlier versions of passive PoE 24 VDC power sources shipped with 802.11a, 802.11g and 802.11n based radios are commonly 100 Mbit/s only.
Passive DC-to-DC injectors also exist which convert a 9 V to 36 V DC, or 36 V to 72 V DC power source to a stabilized 24 V 1 A, 48 V 0.5 A, or up to 48 V 2.0 A PoE feed with '+' on pins 4 & 5 and '−' on pins 7 & 8. These DC-to-DC PoE injectors are used in various telecom applications.[54]"

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@march11 , I understand you got what you needed but since you're new at this and there's a lot to assimilate, I just wanted to clarify some recently mentioned terms:

"Passive" adapters and injectors, as well as "active" adapters and injectors, can be and generally are plugged into an outlet to get AC power to convert to the DC required for the POE output. The difference between a "passive" device and an "active" device is this: a "passive" injector does NOT communicate with the powered device to negotiate its voltage or wattage requirements, but supplies power at all times.​
When discussing POE, the term "passive" should not be confused with the term "splitter". A PoE "splitter" supplies power to a non-PoE-compatible device by splitting power from data and feeding it to a separate input.​

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
The problem are "passive" injectors/switches don't usually work with 802.3af compliant devices. All passive end devices I've seen run at 24vdc. PoE 802.3af devices run at 44vdc.

Passive devices shouldn't even be a "thing". We already have two well known PoE standards (802.3af and 802.3at).

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The problem are "passive" injectors/switches don't usually work with 802.3af compliant devices. All passive end devices I've seen run at 24vdc. PoE 802.3af devices run at 44vdc.
And some early TP-LINK outdoor high power AP's I installed over 8 years ago were 12VDC with a passive injector on pairs 4/5 (+) and 7/8 (-).
Recently installed a TP-Link EAP225 V3, Omada AC1350 access point in a local Mexican restaurant's ceiling that would accept either a 802.3af POE switch, 802.3af POE injector OR a passive 24VDC passive injector (supplied). It's currently operating from the former AP's passive 24VDC injector, a Ubiquiti unit.

IMO, as time passes more devices seem to be 802.3af/at compliant and that's a good thing. In the meantime, we must read the specs before we purchase and/or install. :cool:

EDIT: I'm not going to even give any airtime here to that crap "sPOE" from Zmodo, Sannce and maybe another crappy product line.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
It still baffles me why vendors choose to build a device that accepts only 24v passive. PoE 802.3af/at switches have been around for well over 10 years now. They run everything from cameras to telephones to even low power computers.

I make it a point to not purchase anything that requires a 24v passive injector because if that 24vdc passive injector breaks, I can't just run out and replace it. I have to order one unlike a PoE switch which you can find at any shop. If it can't also run on the PoE standard, I don't want it.