Password managers and duplicate usernames.

justwantv

n3wb
Reaction score
This forum is the one that is most aware, knowledgeable and yes sometimes even overly paranoid it seems about security compared to any other forums or reddits I read so I thought it would be a good place to ask. Please take that as a compliment and not a flame. lol

First question seems simple enough. Obviously naming all my devices on my network the same user and pw is a BAD idea. But what about just the cameras? I only have 6. If they are all the same name and password and are all on a separate vlan with other ioT devices that do not connect to the internet is there any harm in that? If one camera is hacked and someone gets in my network what's the difference??? Once you are in, you are in and don't care about the other cameras is my thought process. I'd like to do the same for say all my smart plugs and switches however with a different name.

Second question is what do you guys use for password managers. Pen and paper, spreadsheet, shared note, KEEPASS or some other open source or a paid for deal. It would be great to have a solution I could use on my phone as well as my PC. Maybe even more than one of my PC's. Honestly for work stuff I use notes in my phone. It just seems there has to be a better way. The paid for and big company's I don't trust. I'd rather self host or keep it local.

My devices are all only used by me and not accessible by anyone else at all.

Thanks Guys!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Your points are spot on with cameras that are not connected to the internet - having the same user and pw isn't a big deal. I wouldn't make them the same as other devices though just for an additional layer.

Heck, many here on some older cameras do not even have the camera set to require a password since they are not connected to the net.

I'm a pen and paper kinda person LOL. Not going to use any cloud based or paid solution to keep my passwords lol.

avspin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
All my cameras are the same but they are not on the internet either. I use 1Passord and have been for years. I have over 1500 unique passwords and have no idea what they are.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Mine are all the same user name and password but are on an isolated network. I track the basics of the cameras, IP address, make, model, serial number, lens size, firmware, bit rate and frame rate for main and sub streams, in a spreadsheet.

Last edited:

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
All my cams have the same password but they don’t have internet connectivity.

For password management I use BitWarden in my phone, desktop and laptops, makes life so much easier.