Patio Heater Falls Off A Truck

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
What a fucking dumbass. Reminds me of the day on the San Diego freeway when I watched a stakebed pickup truck with 2 appliances (unstrapped) slowly working their way to the back of the truck
You should see how a high a refridgerator door can be flung, when ripped off its hinges from a spinning fridge at 65mph. what a mess!

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Everyday something like this happens around the world because people are just too lazy to secure their load. The Interwebs are riddled with examples where items like this was bouncing around the highway. Sadly, in some cases the end result is death for people driving along minding their own business.

Just because of some lazy asshole . . . :angry:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah a landscaper here in town, bounced a boulder out of his truck at a RR crossing ( speed) and it killed a lady and injured her daughter. I think there mighta been a camera or two that recorded snipets of the incident. He didn't go back and render assistance. He turned the corner, stopped and then left.
oh here is the link. i guess they both died. :(

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah a landscaper here in town, bounced a boulder out of his truck at a RR crossing ( speed) and it killed a lady and injured her daughter. I think there mighta been a camera or two that recorded snipets of the incident. He didn't go back and render assistance. He turned the corner, stopped and then left.
Just Brutal . . . :(

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wow, so sad.:(
For non-subscribers to WashPost ==>> Arrest made after 800-pound boulder rolls off truck and kills driver and her daughter.

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
Back a few years ago, I was doing some field service work near Phoenix AZ. A dump truck was pulling a utility trailer with a Bobcat skid loader on it and it wasn't chained down, rolling down the Superstition Highway. The Bobcat decided it wanted off the trailer ride and fell off about 1/2 mile ahead of me. Lots of dust, smoke, swerving cars and a pile of mangled steel when the Bobcat finally quit tumbling in the midle of the Highway. That could have killed a bunch of people if it had been during rush hour or during snowbird season.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Body looks bent as well. Pole no longer runs up the centre. I'm guessing it's new heater time.

Why wouldn't you use a strap though? Even without the danger of it going overboard, which may look unlikely as most of the weight is inboard, it has the potential to roll side to side and get damaged.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Body looks bent as well. Pole no longer runs up the centre. I'm guessing it's new heater time.
That's what I saw as well....it's a goner, IMO.
Why wouldn't you use a strap though? ven without the danger of it going overboard, which may look unlikely as most of the weight is inboard, it has the potential to roll side to side and get damaged.
And that big round top is grabbing air as the truck moves forward, acting like a sail to pull it...slick shaft and tailgate + wind + no straps = oh, crap !

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So if you tie off your load well and even flag it, should you be pulled over?
The City of Palo Alto in Northern CA had aluminum street light poles everywhere and aluminum railings on bridges and overpasses where pedestrians were allowed...it was a constant struggle to keep thieves from unbolting and running off with the aluminum and heading to a recycling center. That was in the 70's through the 90's, not sure how much AL that city still has in place as before.

After much lobbying by PG & E and AT & T, who was having spools of conductors stolen out of service yards or cut down off of in-service poles, the state moved to tighten up laws regarding how the recycling centers received metal: photo ID and vehicle license plate submission was required and it helped tremendously. Pawn shops had similar requirements already but they were sloppy so they got tightened up as well.

The town that I worked for in No. CA had a 10 acre public park had pathway lighting consisting of about 25 decorative lighting poles of 12 feet in height; all the #8 copper conductors were in PVC conduit underground with in-ground concrete pull boxes about every 100 feet and one at the base of the pole. There were 3 conductors, two for 240 VAC and a grounding conductor. The thieves came at night when the conductors were "hot" from a central service pedestal with a photo-electric cell that provided dusk-to-dawn control. They cut the hot conductors and stole about half of what was in-service at the time.

IMO, there's still a few metal re-cyclers and pawn shop operators across the U.S. that should spend a few nights at the Graybar Hotel. You close the market, the suppliers dry up...in theory, at least.

Last edited:

fergenheimer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The City of Palo Alto in Northern CA had aluminum street light poles everywhere and aluminum railings on bridges and overpasses where pedestrians were allowed...it was a constant struggle to keep thieves from unbolting and running off with the aluminum and heading to a recycling center. That was in the 70's through the 90's, not sure how much AL that city still has in place as before.

After much lobbying by PG & E and AT & T, who was having spools of conductors stolen out of service yards or cut down off of in-service poles, the state moved to tighten up laws regarding how the recycling centers received metal: photo ID and vehicle license plate submission was required and it helped tremendously. Pawn shops had similar requirements already but they were sloppy so they got tightened up as well.

The town that I worked for in No. CA had a 10 acre public park had pathway lighting consisting of about 25 decorative lighting poles of 12 feet in height; all the #8 copper conductors were in PVC conduit underground with in-ground concrete pull boxes about every 100 feet and one at the base of the pole. There were 3 conductors, two for 240 VAC and a grounding conductor. The thieves came at night when the conductors were "hot" from a central service pedestal with a photo-electric cell that provided dusk-to-dawn control. They cut the hot conductors and stole about half of what was in-service at the time.

IMO, there's still a few metal re-cyclers and pawn shop operators across the U.S. that should spend a few nights at the Graybar Hotel. You close the market, the suppliers dry up...in theory, at least.
That kind of theft can be a death penalty if they make a mistake. Not all underground wiring is 240vac. It is not uncommon to read about electrocutions from stealing copper. Even the ground wire getting cut could lead to problems down the line.