Plans for new cameras to replace existing Hikvision ones

steve457

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I currently have a 2 year old Hikvision setup and have been pretty happy with it, but after seeing all these awesome images at night from Dahua am thinking about switching over. In addition, there have been a recent spat of mailbox thefts and my current Hik camera is not zoomed in nearly enough on my mailbox to catch any would be thieves.

My existing Hik setup consists of primarily of LTS 3042 turrets and LTS 3142 mini-dome (for front door and inside house). I am thinking of replacing my turrets withIPC-HDW5231R-ZE and the mini-domes with PC-HDBW4231F-AS, or I may just use the 5231 at my door (have not decided yet).

In order to get a better view of the mailbox, I was thinking of just using the IPC-HDW5231R-ZE, but am unsure if 13mm is going to be enough zoom. My mailbox is 61' from where the camera is located. I took a picture with a FF DSLR at 100mm, which appears about how I'd like the image to look (see attached). Is the crop factor with a 1/2.8 sensor about 6.5? If so, I believe that would get me around 85mm in the full frame world. Are my calculations correct? I would like to avoid having to move up to a bullet style camera due to the size if possible.

I also am planning to add a PTZ camera in front of the house to catch views of cars going by, since my current setup has limited views due to obstructions. I was thinking of using the SD49225T-HN.

I would appreciate any comments and feedback, or if I am just crazy to think about upgrading a 2 year old system :).

Thanks,
Steve

Attachments

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
If you switch to Dahua cameras you will IMO also want to switch to a Dahua nvr or BI (unless you already run BI of course). The detection features of the Dahua cameras aren't compatible with the LTS/Hikvision nvr. I made the complete switchover and have no regrets about the decision. My first system was younger than 2 years so you would be less crazy than I was.

steve457

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you switch to Dahua cameras you will IMO also want to switch to a Dahua nvr or BI (unless you already run BI of course). The detection features of the Dahua cameras aren't compatible with the LTS/Hikvision nvr. I made the complete switchover and have no regrets about the decision. My first system was younger than 2 years so you would be less crazy than I was.
Yep, I was also planning on switching over to a Dahua NVR such as NVR5216-4KS2. I don't need the POE ports on the NVR as I have separate switches or injectors for power.

steve457

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks, that calculator is super helpful. If I limit myself to 13.5mm zoom, I will only have around 60 PPF at that distance. Probably not enough to get a super clear image of a face, but hopefully enough to at least get a decent look at the vehicle. If I decide to go with a bullet style camera with 25mm zoom, I will be over 110 PPF. I'll probably just end up going with something like the bullet, IPC-HFW5231E-Z12. That will give me way more than enough zoom, but it seems to be the same size as the Z5 and I don't see any reason not to get it over the Z5.