Playback Seek Lag & Freeze

auscam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Using BI4 when opening a clip the initial play (from 0:00) will play fine.
When seeking to a time in the clip it lags really hard, maybe 30-40 sec then plays from the timestamp unreliably.
It will maybe play for 3sec then skips time, or more often freezes entirely.
If I seek back to beginning of the clip, plays fine again.
This is happening on clips within my "new" folder and my "stored" folder.
Also, to note the issue is apparent on both the mobile app and directly playing from BI on the computer.

Some info on machine:

- 8700k with 64gb of memory
- clean windows 10 install with blue iris.
- no active av just passive scans at intervals
- "new" folder is Samsung EVO SSD
- "stored" folder is on WD Red Drives

Are there any settings to pay attention to or actions I can try? Any help appreciated.

Last edited:

erensfd

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had similar issues (skipping and freezing) until I found a stable graphics driver for my Intel 530 chipset (23.20.16.4973). The latest Intel driver caused BI to record with skips and lags when hardware acceleration was on, and the clips were recorded that way. Live view was also choppy for the same reason. I would give it a shot. If it works, make sure to lock the driver from updating as described in the Wiki.

auscam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you this makes sense, will give it a shot!

auscam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So for testing I've removed AV completely from the system and running this graphics driver version: 23.20.16.4973
I tested a recently recorded (after changes) video and the problem persists.

Curious if you had any other ideas, wondering maybe if it's something on the recording settings but bizarre that it plays fine from the beginning of the video.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thinking outloud.....
Only BI, OS and BI DB should be on ssd.
Everything else to new folder on the spinner.
Set new folder to delete when full, not move to stored, no need, adds additional work load.
Not sure it has anything to do with it, but typically the WD Purple drives are recommended.
Make sure your power settings for CPU and GPU at set for performance, not power save.
Record settings at default, BVR and direct to disc. Make sure each cam is set to direct to disc.

auscam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just wanted to follow up on this. I found that there was a major issue with the SAS controller that was greatly limiting the write/read speed of the drives after a certain period of time. I replaced the controller and all is well. Thank you for your help.