Please help me choose a Wifi camera

gr8skott

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi! First of all I'd like to say thanks to all in this forum who are helpful and responsive to posts. Most of the problems I've encountered setting up my home system have been solved just by looking around in this forum.

I run a dedicated PC with BI on it's own router. For cameras, I have a handful of used iCamera-1000's. They are very stable and rarely lose connection. I love the options the camera allows me to adjust directly. Such as, setting it to stay on daytime mode and not turn on the IR, setting it to turn off the LEDs on the cameras, the ability to turn on or off the watermark, change the camera resolution, and things like that. The best thing about the iCamera is that they don't try to access the internet, at all. But they don't have a great picture.

I also have a couple of Amcrest Pro HD shield cameras. The picture on them is amazing! They also have a great interface for adjusting settings, like the iCameras. But they are less stable and far more prone to losing connection than the iCameras. They want to access the internet, but I was able to block that using the router parental controls.

What I'm hoping to find is something with a great wide picture like the Amcrest, in depth interface for adjusting settings, but also the stability of the iCameras.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to your input!

Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendation!
Note this camera is available in several versions:
1 megapixel 720P DS-2CD2412F-IW (older, still available some places)
2 megapixel 1080P DS-2CD2420F-IW(still available on AliExpress for <$60)
3 megapixel 1080P DS-2CD2432F-IW (AliExpress, about $100)
4 megapixel 1080P+ DS-2CD2442F-IW (amazon.com, about $110)
5 megapixel 1080P+ DS-2CD2452F-IW (AliExpress, about $130)

Last edited: