Please help me figure out my VPN

Chase

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok first off I am a noob and I admit that my knowledge of this stuff is a bit over my head. My hope is that some of you will help guide me in the process of setting this up correctly because even after all the readings I just don't get "it."

So I have an Asus router and I have managed to setup my VPN on my router. I went with the PPTP Server that's built in already... I figured? it would be my easiest bet.

- Its enabled and VPN details are set as General.
- Further down I have created a username and password.

On my iPhone I went and connected to my VPN...

Type: PPTP
Server: Put my .asuscomm.com server here
Account: My username I created on the router VPN
RSA SecurID: Off
Password: My password I created on router VPN
Encryption level: Auto
Send All Traffic: On

Clicked done and it tells me I have connected to the VPN.

At this point I don't know what to do next in regards to viewing my cameras on my phone. I already have idmss lite installed on my iphone.

Am I setting this up right so far?
Do I need to make changes/updates/configurations on my NVR?
Do I need to forward ports to the VPN? Is that even OK?

Again I just don't understand everything and I am looking for help in getting this set up the right way.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Connect your VPN and then open idmss to your NVR's local LAN IP; done

you do nothing to your nvr, you forward no ports nothing further is needed.

Chase

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Since I am opening idmss to my NVRs IP I would then assume that I am choosing the IP/Domain option right?

Chase

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok. A couple more questions

I will add my NVRs IP

Port automatically shows 37777 .... I plan to just delete that entry ... so that should solve that right meaning its not gonna want to use a port.

Username/Password.... Is this the credentials to log into my NVR? If it is do you recommend me using the admin account?

Another questions.... back to the router... on my VPN setup... I see another tab called VPN Client... I did not fill anything out there... is this something I need to do? The only username/password credientials I made were on the main VPN Server page (at the bottom of the page)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
no you use ports, everything uses ports; just leave the defaults.. then configure gDMSS to connect on your wifi like any other client and then use it over VPN w/same settings.. your thinking too much and understand too little.

create a login just for your mobile devices so you dont lock out your admin account.

leave vpn client settings alone on your router

Chase

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sweet that worked!

Can you advise me how to be sure neither my NVR nor any of my cameras can send or receive information from the internet?

I want to take security seriously.

spencnor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@nayr. I also have an Asus router and set up Openvpn. The router also has the choice of PPTP vpn. Do you agree that Openvpn has a performance advantage and is more secure?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
one should use OpenVPN over PPTP; its clearly more secure.. but either is better than port forwarding imo.

disable uPNP on your router and PNP/EzViz on your Cameras/NVR and you should be pretty good; otherwise you need to learn how to configure your firewall to be more restrictive by default and only allow what you want out.

Chase

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Any ideas why I can't view cameras (wont connect) on idmss when I am away from home but on another wifi with my VPN turned on?

It works fine if I turn wifi off and use cellular service with VPN on.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That wifi has many restrictions set up it sounds. Public Wifi sometimes restrict access to many websites and such.

Part of life in the fast lane. ;)

Chase

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When im using my iPhone and cellular service and also being connected to my VPN (away from my house) does a VPN work in way to override cell service (for data consumption)?

It seemed like I was using the VPN connection for everything (web browsing, data consumption, etc) and not just when I was viewing my cameras on idmss.

I thought the VPN would only be used when viewing my cameras (away from home) and not for all data consumption when left on.

I tested this by using Speedtest with VPN on and with it off using only cell service.

Chase

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I decided to change over to OpenVPN via my Asus router. I have successfully set it up and have connected thru my phone.

I created a separate, new account for my iPad and exported my config file via the router. Uploaded it to the openvpn app and tried to connect on my iPad (just like I did on my iPhone) but it fails to connect. The connection times out. Any ideas what I should do to fix this? My username/password for my iPad account are correct.

spencnor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Uploaded it to the openvpn app and tried to connect on my iPad (just like I did on my iPhone) but it fails to connect. The connection times out.
This worked for me. I used the app Openvpn Connect on my iPad Air 2. I just installed the app., emailed the .ovpn file to myself. Then on the email attachment I long pressed on the .ovpn file and selected <Copy to OpenVPN>. Then simply entered my username and pw in the app.

Chase

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah it went fine on my phone. After I had my phone set up I went back to my router and added a user for the iPad. Made a new export file and put that on my iPad and tried logging in.

Hmmm

Chase

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If I add users do I need to create a new export? Or do I use the same original copy.

spencnor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah it went fine on my phone. After I had my phone set up I went back to my router and added a user for the iPad. Made a new export file and put that on my iPad and tried logging in.

Hmmm
From what little I know you can use the same user and .ovpn file on multiple devices. And I think it's recommended to create others for each device in case one of your devices is lost.

Edit: We cross posted. I'm pretty sure each .ovpn file is unique to the user ID.