Please help me find an NVR...

rrands1

n3wb
Reaction score
I currently have a Lorex N841A82 NVR (from Amazon), and 5 8MP cameras. I don't like the NVR, and would like to replace it. I previously tried Blue Iris (BI), but it killed my server-class machine (weak on graphics), so would like to avoid that route if possible.

What I don't like about the Lorex:
1) Seems to drop/skip frames - when watching it, it will skip from 1-3 seconds on live and playback
2) inability to "reserve" HD space (i.e. - only use 50% of my HD, start overwriting after that (from experience, any time you go >50% on a spinning disk, you lose perf, and I wonder if this isn't some of my issue))
3) web interface is horrible, and wants me to install a plugin every time I want to watch live streaming from my cameras

My needs are pretty basic - I want:
1) 24/7 recording for 1 - 2 weeks of video
2) motion/person detection is nice, but mainly for going back & narrowing down timeframes for an event - I don't need alerting on it proactively
3) ability to easily review feeds to find events
4) integration with SharpTools (i.e. RTSP streaming)
5) ability to remote into the system from my home network (I want this in a closet & won't have a monitor hooked up to it, so want to be able to access it (console mode?) remotely)

I have a POE switch, so am good there - again, I bought BI, but my i7 server (Hyper-V host) choked on it, so while it seems really cool, perf was not acceptable to me.

With those asks / requirements, is there a good NVR you could recommend?

Thank you in advance - i appreciate any input!

-randy

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Lorex is mass market / low value / low quality brand.. It uses older and cheaper Dahua hardware (cams, NVRs) with modified firmware/software.
You can change all system to something more profesional - like Dahua PRO AI / Lite AI cameras & NVR...

If you want change only NVR - You must stay with NVR compatible with your cameras...
It means You must stay with Lorex...

You NVR looks like a lowest model - 1HD, 8 channel recording, only 4 channel decoding capability, 4K recording only at 15fps... Very slow CPU (SOC)... It looks like old NVR2xxxx models from Dahua...

You should look for higher models of NVR - with 2HD, 16 channels of recording / decoding capability, 4K recording at 30fps. That models will have much faster CPU and will not drop/skip frames...

All modern NVRs from Dahua (-4KS2 and -I series) have plugin-less web interface (using HTML5 & WebSocket) - so also newest Lorex models should have that. You should call Lorex support and ask which newest models of NVR supports Your cams & have plugin-less web interface and higher performance...

You can buy it and check it - it is working for You.. If not - You can return it..

There is option that Dahua NVR will work for YOU - but I don't known how far modification of firmware in cameras went in Lorex? Does they work with Dahua NVR?

rrands1

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you, Steve! If the lorex cameras do work with a dahua NvR, is there a particular one that is good? I don’t really need a 16 camera unit for my setup, And I thought the second drive was mainly for fail over and I can tolerate loss of drive and or footage. Is that correct, or does that mainly help with performance by striping the drives or something? I’m trying to keep it on the lower end cost wise, so don’t want to invest a ton but did want to see what others are doing.

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Dahua 4xxx-4KS2 minimum... It can live decode 2 streams 8MP / 4K...
Dahua 5xxx-4KS2 recommended... it can live decode 4 streams 8MP / 4K...

But check before is Dahua NVR's works with Lorex cameras.. I don't known that...

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Some of the guys on hear recommend buying 16-32 channel NVR for 8 camera. Because the hardware can handle 8 without overworking the NVR unit.
like putting a race car engine in a Volkswagen beetle.

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
No there is no difference in CPU power between 8/16/32 disk models from the same NVR line...
NVR line number/name codes which CPU (SOC) it have.. And what decoding capability and bandwidth limitation it have..
You should always check specs sheet for exactly product.

If You take Dahua 4208-4KS2 (8 channel, 2 disk) and 4216-4KS (16 channel, 2 disk) - they have the same CPU and the same decoding capability/bandwith - becouse they are from the same line...

So always check: decoding capability and bandwidth limitation in spec sheet.
Higher NVR lines (even with 8 channel limitation) have more CPU/GPU power

rrands1

n3wb
Reaction score
OK, @looney2ns... you have convinced me - I ordered a newer desktop (refurb, per the link you provided), and will give BI another try - I own BI already anyway, so will be an inexpensive thing to try out... :) Thank you all for the help/guidance/ideas!

srvfan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
OK, @looney2ns... you have convinced me - I ordered a newer desktop (refurb, per the link you provided), and will give BI another try - I own BI already anyway, so will be an inexpensive thing to try out... :) Thank you all for the help/guidance/ideas!
Like you I have one of those Costco Lorex specials. I have it running alongside Blue Iris, but also find frames skipping, jacked up cuts in the video, etc. I’m only using it right now because I can access the deterrence lights and two way audio. If I can figure out how to use these through BI, I will be kicking that thing out the window and just use my computer/server and a good switch to handle the cameras. Will also be working on replacing all of those Lorex cameras except for one on the porch to the audio.