Please help me with notifications

Reaction score
Hello,

I've been somewhat frustrated trying to get these notifications working exactly the way I want, so I'm hoping someone might be able to help me.

My dream solution was the iOS rich push notification 10 second GIF, but I gave up on this because it was impossible to get the image along with the notification on WAN (worked fine inside the LAN). I connect via VPN when outside and wasn't too interested in opening ports just to accomplish this.

So I relented to using email, but unfortunately there's no option in the GUI to send a GIF with this notification type. There's an option for an MP4, but for some reason when I add everything and click the test button, it just says "Test sent with 0 attachments". I've tried two email servers, Gmail and also an old legacy GoDaddy SMTP - same results.

Would be great if they would just add the GIF option to the SMS and/or E-mail notification types, but, that would be making life way too easy I guess.

Can anyone help point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
LTSI

edit: The e-mail notification option will send still images... but the MP4 option just sends an email without the MP4 attached.

Last edited:

aesterling

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Do you leave the VPN connected on your iOS device all the time or only when you open the Blue Iris app? It should get the rich notifications (images/GIFs) if your VPN is connected and it can callback to your server.

As for GIF by email, you should send an email to BI support to request that ability. :)

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
If you are connected to VPN while away, make sure in the iOS app that your LAN and WAN address are pointed to the internal IP address of the BI server. With that, no open ports needed.