Please help with initial Dual NIC setup.

Owyhee

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello - I'm setting up my first IP cameras and I have really limited networking experience. I'm setting up Hanwha cameras with WAVE VMS.
Yes, I have consulted the wiki and forum post here: Dual NIC setup on your Blue Iris Machine | IP Cam Talk, the part that didn't make sense to me was adding another IP under "advanced" in the middle of the forum post.

I have the following infrastructure in mind.

Router -----(192.168.0.x)------ Dual NIC mini PC running Wave VMS ------ (192.168.1.x) ---------- unmanaged switch ---------- 2 Cameras currently

Where the .0.x subnet has internet and 1.x is isolated and the cameras don't have direct internet access.

When I hook my switch up to my internet (0.x subnet) I can see the cameras and use the device manager to get them set up. The issue that I'm having currently is that when I change IP addresses either through the device manager or directly through their IP on the internet, the cameras don't show up on my subnet at all and I can't connect to them. That is, when I disconnect the switch from my 0.x (internet/router) and plug in the 1.x (to/from miniPC) I can't access the cameras, and nothing shows up using an IP scanner. My device manager shows that they have the "new" IP address but nothing is being recognized.

In windows, I have 192.168.1.10 set as my private LAN subnet, mask 255.255.255.0, with no default gateway.

I think part of the problem is that when I change the Wisenet camera IP, it requires a gateway - I had tried 192.168.1.254, and also 1.0, neither of which seemed to work. DNS I set at 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, I also tried keeping it as default.

There has to be something that I'm missing and I appreciate any help. I'm about at my wits end on this.

Default IP addresses for camera per Hanwha : 192.168.1.100, for encoders decoders is .200
Current IP addresses of cameras 192.168.0.237 and 192.168.0.238, these were auto assigned through DHCP when I hooked them up to the switch WITH internet.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
With a dual NiC config the cams can only be accessed via your BI PC, so logon to that Pc and then see if you can access the cams.

If you want to be able to access the cams from your home network you’ll either need to setup routing or bridge the adapters in the PC but that then sort of defeats the entire purpose of setting up a dual NIC system?

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
I am also using a dual NIC and this is how my network is structured.

If I want to be able to access my cameras on any PC other than my BI PC then I need to make sure it is plugged into the orange network switch and on the same subnet. If it's connected anywhere else then I am not able to access the correct network to view them.

1700832606363.png

Owyhee

n3wb
Reaction score
I am also using a dual NIC and this is how my network is structured.

If I want to be able to access my cameras on any PC other than my BI PC then I need to make sure it is plugged into the orange network switch and on the same subnet. If it's connected anywhere else then I am not able to access the correct network to view them.

View attachment 178525
Thanks that diagram is helpful. I’m trying to do similar to just your bottom row.

less concerned about the viewing portion right now. My issue is finding them cameras to provision their IP.

My diagram of what I want. Right now I can’t get the cams to show up as visible on the subnet for NIC2. So I’m not sure if I have it set up right in windows? Is there a way to validate my settings?

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Your first post says 192.168.1.xx subnet, while your diagram shows 192.168.10.x

That 0 can make a big difference as to why the cameras are not see.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Router -----(192.168.0.x)------ Dual NIC mini PC running Wave VMS ------ (192.168.1.x) ---------- unmanaged switch ---------- 2 Cameras currently

Where the .0.x subnet has internet and 1.x is isolated and the cameras don't have direct internet access.

Default IP addresses for camera per Hanwha : 192.168.1.100, for encoders decoders is .200
Current IP addresses of cameras 192.168.0.237 and 192.168.0.238, these were auto assigned through DHCP when I hooked them up to the switch WITH internet.
It looks like you have them on the wrong subnet. According to above they should be viewable on your normal network, but not the isolated network.

Plug them in on the internet side, log into the IPs (.0.237 and .0.238) and change them to static and set the IP in the .0.XX range.

Owyhee

n3wb
Reaction score
Oops. Diagram was old. I switched to .1.x to try to find the cams in their default IP

It looks like you have them on the wrong subnet. According to above they should be viewable on your normal network, but not the isolated network.

Plug them in on the internet side, log into the IPs (.0.237 and .0.238) and change them to static and set the IP in the .0.XX range.
yes. They have been viewable on my .0.x network with internet access. My issue now is when I try to set a status IP on the isolated network (.1.x) and then plug my switch into that NIC, I get nothing.

so idk if I’ve set it up wrong in windows or if there is some weird firewall permission blocking on the isolated subnet or why I can’t find them when I change over to the non internet lan. Ideally I want them isolated from the web

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Did you change the IP to .1 before moving them from the .0 to the .1?

These are the Windows settings for the isolated side of my NIC.

1700841492015.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Confirm in each NIC you set the IP correctly.

1700841567843.png

Owyhee

n3wb
Reaction score
Confirm in each NIC you set the IP correctly.

View attachment 178541
That’s what mine looks like. Set up with no default gateway correct?

when I change the IP on my cameras it requires a gateway. Can I make this 192.168.1.254? Or what should it be? Does DNS matter on the camera side ?

I had to go to work today unfortunately but I am planning on a hard reset of both cams and trying again

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Many of us put the IP camera IP down for the gateway. Since it isn't going to the internet, no reason to give it a DNS.

Owyhee

n3wb
Reaction score
Okay thanks for your help. I’ll report back tonight/tomorrow after some more trial and error

Owyhee

n3wb
Reaction score
A lesson to be learned today. Always check for updates… I have 1 and 2.5gb NIC on the mini pc. Originally 2.5 was being used for the subnet and 1 for the internet from my router. I tried to switch it and my 2.5 wasn’t working for internet. After a series of updates from windows everything is working well and my cameras are now being recognized in the subnet. Everything is set up.
Thanks all for your help