Please sanity check this camera choice and placement

horseflesh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've decided to get Hikvision gear through LTS. I'll be ordering the new 4k NVR, and I also need to order one camera to test before I go all-in.

This door will be my test spot. It's the most commonly approached entrance to my house, and will have a view up the driveway as well. Based on what I've read around here I was going to place a 4.1 MP 4 mm turret in this location. I am not sure exactly where it should go but the "X" is my best guess.

Does this seem like a reasonable plan?

Thanks for the help!

Warsaws

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Do you want to be able to see what people do at the door, or just as they approach the door?

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
2.8mm you will end up with IR reflections from the walls.

I would tuck it as far in the corner as possible and then use 2.8mm.

techoguy

n3wb
Reaction score
The X looks to be a great spot if you want to get a great view of someone coming up the stairs and what's out past the stairs. But this might not allow you to see packages left at the base of the front door. If you were to put the camera on the right side, you might be able to point the camera down such that you see the mat, front door, and the stair way. But, you won't see much past the stairs.

It might be best to get the camera and then play with it's placement by holding it up before you actually mount the camera.

dalepa

Reaction score
With 4mm, you will get a good look as they approach, but probably not see them as they stand on the porch. That may be ok... I would lower the camera at least a foot, maybe two which will get a better view of a face.

I would probably put the cam about 2 ft below your light at eye level ~5ft. That way you get a head on view of anyone entering.

horseflesh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do you want to be able to see what people do at the door, or just as they approach the door?
Good question. In this location it seems like I have a choice between seeing the approach to the door plus a longer view of the driveway -- or I can get a good look at what's happening at the door while sacrificing the wider view. (I've tried using a pocket camera to simulate IP cam views.)

I will probably end up with another camera or two monitoring the driveway independently though, so it isn't critical that this camera do both things.

Lebeter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Some great points. I would guess the side your door handle is on facing the door, folks would stand to the right of the door to see you opening the door. So camera on the left side (Facing the door) would get the best view of their face. But depending on where they leave packages at your doorstep you would likely want it on the opposite side with a 2.8mm lens to get best angle. I have the camera directly above the porch light and most people don't see the camera at night until they are all the way up to the door because the light blinds view of the camera from a far. Great for capturing faces.

horseflesh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It might be best to get the camera and then play with it's placement by holding it up before you actually mount the camera.
Definitely, I am not doing any drilling until I have played around for a while!

I'm not opposed to going with 2.8 either, I just thought I saw 4 mm recommended for places like this in other threads.

The packages are a good point too. I should probably get a 2.8 to maximize FOV since this is a tough spot.

I was thinking about getting a 2.8-12 varifocal as my first test camera, but it's twice as much and doesn't have matrix IR. That still might be a good idea though...

techoguy

n3wb
Reaction score
for that location and if you are getting the 4MP, I would get the 2.8mm version to make sure you can see the whole patio. Your pixel density for the area should still be pretty high considering it's not a very big porch to cover.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm a massive advocate of 4mm as so many people get 2.8mm and say "Why is my night-vision so bad?" when they are reflecting half the ceiling back or the closest bush, or "Why can't I see 50m and have really wide angle?"

This is 100% not one of those cases. You need 2.8mm, you will get 90 degrees view, so you can see door and driveway. If your driveway is really long, you guessed it, you need another camera.

Don't waste money on a 2.8 to 12mm VF. Not needed.

horseflesh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks a million everyone! 2.8 it is.

Wall mount bracket I assume?

Or stick a junction box to the wall?

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I would look at mounting it either to the left and one panel lower than your light fixture.

horseflesh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well the bracket is on the way, I am sure I will use it somewhere or other.

Thanks again for the advice, everyone. I can't wait to string some cable across the floor and play with this stuff.

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
2.8mm you will end up with IR reflections from the walls.
Privacy mask works good for IR wall reflections. I did it on my gate camera and it definitely cuts down on the screen brightness if you actively watch the live feed. 2.8mm is the way to go for your placement.

Home NVR_IP Camera6_Home NVR_20160113013524_47516441.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: