POE and Gigabit Router

smpillai11

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, Sorry, I am a noob at this. I am planning to use a POE injector for my hikvision IP camera. However my router is a Gigabit router. Would this pose a problem as Gigabit uses all four pairs for data. If yes, any solutions?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
No problem. The camera doesn't even have a gigabit network interface, and uses 100 Mbps speed instead which only uses 2 pairs. In fact I've even seen gigabit PoE injectors, which send power and data down the same wires :)

A 802.3af PoE injector will be fine. Or if you plan on having more than one camera, it is probably more cost effective to buy a TP-LINK TL-SF1008P PoE switch instead for about $42 from Amazon.com.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
+1 what @bp2008 said. I have my cameras plugged into my POE injector which is plugged into my Asus gigabit router. No problems whatsoever and the POE injector has been plugged in for 9 months without me ever having to restart it, literally.

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The cheap ebay thing should work as long as your cord isn't long. It would be pushing 12 volts down the ethernet and the voltage drop might be too much if the distance was very long. Safer to go with a standard PoE injector like the one networkcameracritic linked.

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No, these cameras are PoE (Power over Ethernet) or 12V, not both. When using PoE, the power, 48V is sent through 2 unused wires in the Ethernet cable to power the camera and also connects it to your network, other wires or power are NOT needed. It's very clean and simple. Using 12V is more complicated as you'll need extra wires going to the camera and the lower voltage, the higher the amperage and the large the wire you'll need and the bigger the voltage drop on the wire. Don't do 12V unless you are in a marine or automotive situations or using solar power and running of 12V batteries.

smpillai11

n3wb
Reaction score
No, these cameras are PoE (Power over Ethernet) or 12V, not both. When using PoE, the power, 48V is sent through 2 unused wires in the Ethernet cable to power the camera and also connects it to your network, other wires or power are NOT needed. It's very clean and simple. Using 12V is more complicated as you'll need extra wires going to the camera and the lower voltage, the higher the amperage and the large the wire you'll need and the bigger the voltage drop on the wire. Don't do 12V unless you are in a marine or automotive situations or using solar power and running of 12V batteries.
Thanks for the very useful information on PoE. I will be definitely using PoE since its less cabling too. The camera I am buying seems to have both PoE and 12 V DC

http://www.hikvision.com/UploadFile/image/2014032411182797053.pdf