POE camera, can I cut the wire between the cam and Splitter, to add 10 FT CAT6?

aforum

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a small bullet bare bones POE camera. (meaning lightweight and no housing). It goes from Camera to a 1ft black cord (appears as a normal thick CAT5/6 cord) > to a POE Splitter (a black 1/2 in barrel. ChatGPT said it is a "Splitter" that splits the data and power). At the end of the Splitter barrel is a Female CAT6 port to plug in a normal (confirmed) CAT5/6 cord.
So camera > 1 ft black cord (with unknow wire count) > splitter barrel with female CAT port > 100 ft normal CAT > router/POE injector.

Problem: the 1 ft black cord is too long for me - too much distance from the camera. And I want to put everything inside a tube. (The camera and barrel are too bulky to slide in the tube. And the wire is too long/thick to fold over on itself to shorten the length. So I want a bulky camera connected to a THIN CAT6 cord, inside a tube, then 10ft later I can deal with the bulk of the Splitter that doesn't need to be in the tube.)
So I want to cut the 1 ft black cord in half > get End A (to camera) and B (to Splitter barrel/home) > solder a 10 ft THIN CAT6 cord between camera and Splitter. Is that possible?

(I confirmed that the 10ft THIN CAT6 cord can handle the power/data with no loss if connected after the Splitter.)
But does the THIN CAT6 cord have enough wires to match/solder to Ends A and B of the mystery 1 ft black cord that is between the camera and Splitter?

ChatGPT said the barrel is: PoE (Power over Ethernet) splitter. It separates the power and data from a single Ethernet cable. The splitter takes the combined PoE signal from the wire and splits it into separate data and power outputs for your mini PoE camera. This setup allows the camera to receive power and data without needing an additional power supply.
But I don't understand: if I add 10FT CAT6 between the camera and Splitter, then the 10FT cord needs to carry a split signal (since the Barrel did the split operation before reaching the 10FT thin cord). So then how can I ensure/confirm that the 10FT THIN cord carries the correct conversion/split to the camera - before I cut it to find out?

Im assuming I would cut the black cord in half, then have to match wire colors on End A, then repeat on End B. But I am unsure if this black cord has an extra/separate power wire since this black cord exits after its own Splitter operation occurred (thus maybe it is not a standard CAT5/6 cord). Please help.

PS:
  • There is already 120FT CAT5/6 cord from camera splitter to home. And the 5MP signal/camera works normally with this distance and even using THIN CAT6 cord. So 120FT is in front of the camera.
  • Only 1 black cord feeds into the metal housing of the camera. There are no screws or anyway to open the housing. It is a mini sealed bullet. So I can only cut/operate on the black cord, to find out its wire count/structure.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Does this image with black text near its end help you decide which wires in the CAT cable do what so you'll know how it all works?

Passive_POE 1.jpg

aforum

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, thank you.
So in your diagram, the red and blue paths/wires > are (im assuming) inside 1 black cord/wrapping on my camera.
So from the outside of the camera, I cannot see any separation between red/blue wires (only 1 black cord feeds into the metal housing of the camera. There are no screws or anyway to open the housing. It is a mini sealed bullet. So I can only operate on the black cord).
Thus my question: if a THIN CAT6 cord (its internal wires) can contain/transmit the Split signal of both the red and blue paths, for the distance of 10 FT > then solder/connect to End A of the [cut] black cord > which goes to camera?

Last edited:

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
This really all boils down to how you intend on terminating the connected cable once cut. Yes, you can twist/solder/glue/bubble gum ethernet cable together, but you are risking a very non-reliable cable. Ethernet is more than just an end-to-end connection and needs to be terminated properly for it to work properly, it is different than just an electrical connection.

I am having a very difficult time understanding your post, but if your harness looks anything like this, good luck. I guess you can try and see how it goes.

1727559760220.png