POE IP Camera into Coax NVR

ooom416354

n3wb
Reaction score
Posted this in networking but I think it might be better here...

Hi, I have a bit of an issue with my camera system and am wondering how I can set this up to work. Currently I have 7 cameras, 5 of which work and are Coax wired with power. The NVR I have is also coax. I recently got two new POE IP Cameras and have them wired into the house but I don't know what to do from here. The issue is my NVR is on the other side of the house from the location of my two Cat6 cables for the new cameras. However I have 1 Cat6 cable which links the two rooms but not 2 so I am stuck as to what I am to do. Reading up, I noticed not all of the wires in the Cat6 are used. So I am wondering if I can do the following:

Take the two Cat6 cables which are coming from the POE IP cameras and plug them into a POE switch (this was the switch I was looking at
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076PRM2C5
)
Wire the 1 Cat6 cable which reaches the NVR into the POE switch
Wire the other end of the Cat6 into the NVR - this I don't know how to do as that's Coax though.

Does this make sense and would it work? Also, what would I need to do on the NVR side of that 1 Cat6 in order to get it shown up on my NVR? Is there also something I need to purchase to get it to connect or an adapter from Cat6 to Coax?

Any help is appreciated! Thank you!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a similar DVR and I also run a mix of IP and coax (HD-CVI) cameras.

Here's what i do:

I have a BV-Tech switch that I plug my LAN cable into the uplink port, from the switch I then plug the DVR and the IP cameras into the PoE ports. I assign a static IP to the DVR and the cameras. The DVR allows you to add the IP cameras pretty easily. it will work fine

BV-Tech switch

ooom416354

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a similar DVR and I also run a mix of IP and coax (HD-CVI) cameras.

Here's what i do:

I have a BV-Tech switch that I plug my LAN cable into the uplink port, from the switch I then plug the DVR and the IP cameras into the PoE ports. I assign a static IP to the DVR and the cameras. The DVR allows you to add the IP cameras pretty easily. it will work fine

BV-Tech switch
Thanks! So the IP cameras don't need to be wired to the DVR right?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Correct, not directly. The IP cameras would connect to the switch. The switch to the DVR. The DVR will be able to see the IP cameras through the switch.