POE IP Microphone

dave7108

n3wb
Reaction score
im after a microphone POE IP based, can anyone recommend, I want to put it near the pavement. Would this come up on BI as a 'camera' or would the mic have to be added on to one of the cameras?

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
A while back, I looked a bit for an IP audio interface to which I could feed an existing audio stream so BI could record that audio.

The units I found were quite expensive.

In the end, I modified an inexpensive IP security camera to bypass its internal microphone and gave it a transformer to provide a balanced input to avoid ground loop noise pick up.

It works well, but because the camera has audio compression, that is less than ideal for my purposes. But it does OK.

If you find a reasonably priced IP audio input device, I'd like to know about it. Failing that, you can use an IP camera that has an audio input, or modify a cheap camera the way I did and just ignore its video the way I'm doing.

Actually, since you need the microphone, too, you could just use an inexpensive IP camera that has a microphone, and ignore its video. It's sort of a waste, but from my searching, a camera with microphone is far less expensive than an audio-only IP interface.

I'm using this to record some 2 way radio traffic, and with it being recorded by BI with alerts triggered by audio, it is easy to review without needing to scrub through hours of "dead air".

I just wish the camera I used didn't have such heavy-handed audio compression. My audio stream is already compressed, so it's a bit much.

Last edited:

dave7108

n3wb
Reaction score
ive changed my hikvision 4mp cameras to some 5mp swann camera's and the microphone is pretty good. I need to find a discreet cam, not a bullet, something i can mount on the fence that's flat. I think hikvision do a mini dome which is quite flat.

Reaction score
Ive got several microphones running straight to my pc not to the cameras, using the 3.5mm jacks on the back. Under blue iris audio settings under the camera of your choice you can add them using "Other Direct Show Device" and selecting the input. Amazon has a bunch of super cheap 12v "IP Cam Mics" with 12v DC jacks for power and you could use a poe splitter inline to tap off for power. Ive gotten multiple running that way without issue, went a step further and downloaded a free audio interface software which i can route the audio through to adjust eq settings down to what ever freq you wish to take out 60 hz hum or boost mid range for vocals.

dave7108

n3wb
Reaction score
i think il just get a cheap reolink or something like that then, probably be the easiest option.