PoE IP turret camera with space for cable behind

Reaction score
One issue I run into direct wall-mounting turret cameras is what to do with the cable/connectors, specifically the bulky RJ45 connectors with the screw-on caps. Out of the box, they're far too big to be fed through a hole in the wall behind the camera.

To make my driveway camera fit, I simply shaved off the excess plastic for the screw-on part from the connector, to make it small enough to pull through the ~10mm mortar gap between bricks into the garage, and that's fine because the connector itself is effectively "indoors". But, now I need to install another camera where the RJ45 connector needs to maintain water resistance, so I'm looking for cameras where the connector can sit in the base (i.e. behind the camera body), because I don't want to need to make a huge 15mm hole in the bricks.

One option is to go for a separate deep base, but the bases for some cameras are quite large, making the camera stick out another 50-60mm. Not a deal-breaker, and would definitely make the job a lot easier, but I'd prefer something a bit sleeker.

I'm aware that some Hikvision cameras have sufficient space for the outdoor connector behind, like the one in this video:
)
Are any common cameras similar to this? (in terms of having space for the cable, not the actual lens/illuminator design)

I'm not looking for anything high-end - more the basic $100-level cameras, it's just for some supplementary residential cameras. 4K is preferred, but anything 1080 or higher is fine. IR lighting. 2.8mm lens. Standard PoE. Grey. Don't care about manufacturer - all cameras sit on a separate network behind a firewall.

Last edited:

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
I simply drilled a hole just large enough to accommodate the connector right where the mortar intersects. Mostly mortar removed and a little bit of the brick corners of two bricks above the hole. I figured that if someone wants to get rid of the camera they can put mortar in the hole and color match the brick where some of the brick was drilled away. It's a rather small area so unlikely to be obvious given the color variation of these bricks.

1724939785083.png

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
As others have mentioned either a junction box, bigger hole, or simply cut off the wires you’ll never use.

I personally don’t like the last option but have seen thousands of cameras that had this done.