POE on different power standards (120v AC, 230v AC etc etc) - confused

frankred

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am looking into buying this camera from Aliexpress. The seller is passing on some confusing info from Dahua. If POE uses a power supply to convert from whatever variety of AC to DC12V/AC24V, PoE (802.3af), is there any way the AC power source would matter? Here is the conversation I am having with the seller. The initial concern was that the camera only supports PAL and I am in the US. I have checked into that concern and it doesn't apply in this situation. Only the top few messages are really relevant to my question.

Lin Lin
2016-03-16 20:15

NO, even you use POE, POE's original power supply still different. If you will require part refund, you better not order from us.

Interesting. The specs say "DC12V/AC24V, PoE (802.3af)". I understand that there are different AC power standards but this is DC. I plan to use POE.
If I order one sample product and I have issues, might you be able to refund a portion?
Thanks,
John

Me
2016-03-16 20:13

Lin Lin
2016-03-16 19:59

You can get 1pcs sample to test first but if it cannot work because of this matter, we will not accept refund.

Lin Lin
2016-03-16 19:58

Hi John,
We have discussed many times about this issue with dahua engineer and they said even IP products, they cannot work perfectly in USA because your power and our power is different. They don't want to explain us much but they confirmed that there will be some problems to use PAL there.

Hi Lin Lin,
I know I posted my last message late in your time zone. Can you offer some more info please? See my previous message.
Thanks,
John

Me
2016-03-16 19:14

Can you give me some more details on what you mean? If I connect the Dahua to an encoder that supports PAL it should work, right?
What about using it as an IP cam?
Thanks!
John

Me
2016-03-16 06:37

Lin Lin
2016-03-16 06:29

Originally yes but dahua makes some difference on the hardware to prevent them to be sold to american area.

The existing camera connects to an ACTi IP encoder that supports NTSC and PAL.

Me
2016-03-16 06:21

Lin Lin
2016-03-16 01:56

Dear John,
Thanks for your inquiry but we can only offer the device in PAL format and your country use NTSC. Is it a problem?

Hi Lin Lin,
I am ready to place my order for 1 of these cameras. Do you know if you will be able to ship soon?
Thanks,
John

Hi John,
Sorry that all dahua products we only can sell PAL system.

About this product
DAHUA 4MP Full HD Network Box Camera with Alarm and POE Original English Version without Logo IPC-HF5421E

Oh, I thought you meant that you cannot offer that specific model in NTSC. I didn't think you meant that you don't carry any NTSC cameras at all. I was hopeful to find a camera that offers NSTC and some of the other attributes of the camera that I asked about. I browsed your store and I see that you only carry PAL. Thank you for your help.

Me
2016-02-29 20:03

Lin Lin
2016-02-29 19:59

Hi John,
But I said that we cannot offer NTSC.

About this product
DAHUA 4MP Full HD Network Box Camera with Alarm and POE Original English Version without Logo IPC-HF5421E

Thank you for the super fast response. Can you recommend a similar camera?
John

Me
2016-02-29 19:34

Lin Lin
2016-02-29 19:32

Hi John,
Thanks for your inquiry but sorry that we cannot offer NTSC system now. We only sell in PAL format.

About this product

Hi,
Do you have this camera available in NTSC for North America?
I need one now and I might need another 6.
Thanks!
John

frankred

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I ordered the camera and I will find out if it works when it gets here. I will report back.

digger11

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If the camera adheres to 802.3af PoE standard, and you are using a 802.3af compliant power source, whether that is a switch or an injector, the camera should power up just fine. It will be interesting to see whether or not it is PAL only. The specs say that at 3mp it can do 1 ~ 25/30 fps. Typically that indicates that it can do 25 fps when set to PAL and 30 when set to NTSC.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
I expect it'll work fine but run 1/25th, 1/50th, 1/100th of a second for shutter speeds like digger11 said instead of 1/30th etc like NTSC cams. You MAY run into some issues with 60hz lighting but you may not. I've got a Chinese Hik 3345-I that runs in only PAL 50hz mode and I've used it with PoE indoors under compact CFL and outdoors under HPS lighting with no funky problems. If you ordered it with a PAL PoE injector the injector definitely wouldn't work because it'd want 50hz AC to start with before turning it into 48v DC for the PoE. DC is DC, no differing hz standards to worry about, just volts and amp draw.

frankred

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just received the camera and it powered up right away via POE.

frankred

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I received the camera on Tuesday. It powered up via POE. Everything is working well. It only has a PAL option in the dropdown. The image is currently showing the lens cover, my lens is in the mail.

Pokerfjes

n3wb
Reaction score
PoE (802.3af) does provides up to 15.4watts DC power and the end device is blissfully unaware of what the empowering device had to endure to provide this service :). The type of AC source is totally unrelated - if that part of the question still was unclear.
PoE+ (802.3at) will add another 10.1watts to the power-hungry device.