PoE Powered IR Illuminator

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So there was another thread about a POE powered PIR activated IR Illuminator so it had me thinking of going in a bit of a different direction. Is it feasible to take something like this...

https://www.amazon.com/802-3af-Gigabit-Splitter-Ethernet-Switches/dp/B017J8WJ5E/ref=pd_cp_147_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=3XKKW7G1E21M18Y7MMFS

And use any type of IR Illuminator that works off of a 12v power source like this...

https://www.amazon.com/CMVision-IRS48-WideAngle-Degree-Illuminator/dp/B01BIDQNVM/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1466908687&sr=8-14&keywords=ir+illuminator

Or any other type of LED IR Light that run off 12v, but ALSO be controlled remotely or on a schedule thru your PoE Switch to turn the power off/on on command or on a designated schedule thru the switch software?

Ideally something like this is in my comfort zone as opposed to hard wiring the IR Illuminator to a constant power source activated via switch. I'm not comfortable at all with working with power lines; running and terminating Cat6 is about all I am comfortable with. I'm just curious if it is possible to control thru the switch, or if not if it would be better to purchase an illuminator with day/night detection.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
the alarm output is just a relay, when the alarm out is enabled the IR is on.. when it is off the IR is off.

Attachments

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you go down the alarm output road remember to check the load the onboard relay will handle. If your illuminator exceeds that load rating you can still do it, you just need a second relay.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Now if I wanted to run the illuminator on as a secondary IR source, which it seems a lot of people have been looking into, can I use the PoE switch that I have or is that not a good idea? And can the switch turn power on and off to that port either at will or on a schedule? Just wondering if this is possible.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
that depends entirely on your hardware, you'll have to tell us if your switch can toggle power remotely.. most cant, but some can.. on a schedule? your swithch has to have these features.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
that depends entirely on your hardware, you'll have to tell us if your switch can toggle power remotely.. most cant, but some can.. on a schedule? your swithch has to have these features.
Yeah I'm not too sure. Its a CISCO SRW224G4P. I'll have to see if I can find out in the user manual. Otherwise I could prob just use an illuminator with a day/night sensor on it, right?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ive yet to find one that dont have day/night sensor on it.. the only reason I had to use the relay output was because I put the illuminator in an enclosure and the sensor was obscured.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
excellent thanks, u've been a great amount of knowledge for me with this and a variety of other things.. It is greatly appreciated.